khlaire p asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Who knows how to train a husky? I can't get my dog to fetch!?

Whenever i throw the ball, she doesn't go after it, or if she does she doesn't give it back to me. Really would appreciate any help. Thanks!

• Phil W
    Best Answer

A husky "fetch"? You would most likely have better luck trying to find bigfoot!

It is a very rare Husky that will fetch. It is simply below them. Oh, they will chase the ball down, but their attitude is "you threw it away, I found it, so now its mine! End of discussion!" Sometimes that's when the games begin ..... you try to get the ball(?) and the dog will make you chase her for it. The dog will normally win.

Siberian Husky Property Laws

1. If I like it, it’s mine.

2. If it’s in my mouth, it’s mine.

3. If I had it a little while ago, it’s mine.

4. If I can take it from you, it’s mine.

5. If it’s mine, it must never be yours.

6. If it looks like mine, it’s mine.

7. If I saw it first, it’s mine.

8. If you are playing with something else and put it down, it’s mine.

9. If I am chewing something up, all the pieces are mine.

10. If it used to be yours, get over it.

11. If it’s broken, it’s yours.

25 years of being owned by Siberian Huskies. I currently have 16 Huskies most of whom were rescued by us from people who didn’t know what they were getting into

Um, huskie are sled dogs, not retrievers. Pretty difficult to get them to fetch a ball. I had one that would bring me the ball. I'd throw it. She'd bring it back. I'd throw it. She'd go over to it, look at the ball, and look at me like "This is stupid. If you want the ball, STOP THROWING IT AWAY!" Then she'd walk away.

Here's an excellent training article that covers husky thinking in more detail:

http://www.adogforallseasons.com/articles/hardtotr...

I currently have one husky (or malsky) that likes to play with a ball and has actually competed in flyball. But it's very rare. There's over 4,000 border collies in flyball and less than 100 huskies in flyball. Here's pictures of my flyball dog:

http://photos.toast.net/resqer/flyball

You and your dog will be a whole lot happier if instead of molding her into what you want, you find her strengths and what makes her happy (be it pulling or therapy dog work or agility or whatever) and encourage those traits. And remember, as long as you're dog is spending time with you she's going to be happy!

Siberian Huskies are not to any extent further the ultimate canines to coach. They require an incredible form of workout and might scale 6' fences conveniently. in addition they gained't be waiting to be trusted off leash. German Shepherds are sensible and as a results of their intelligence p.c. for some one that knows what they are doing. Why no longer pass to a look after and get a senior canines it somewhat is optimal probably already housebroken? the promptly forward lifespan of a canines is around 15 years, so which you will likely have somewhat some time with them.

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://bitly.im/aOfEK

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

Some dogs just don't fetch, huskys's are not really into that and my greyhounds just look at me and lay down, my Black Lab, who I think is supposed to love it does go after the ball, gets runs around me to the deck and stands at the back door to go in.

I have a husky.....and I used to get frustrated with him as well, until I got more familiar with the breed. They love to run, they have VERY short attention spans, and aren't into repetitive actions-they get bored. So needless to say, huskies really aren't of the "fetching type." If you ask them, they'd tell you they have better things to do :)

LOL! What makes you think your Siberian Husky would fetch?

They aren't retrievers. They have no interest in bringing things back to you. If the ball was a small animal -- yeah, she'd go after it. If the ball was a treat -- yeah, that would be cool. But a boring old ball? Nope. What's in it for her?

I have a few Siberians in my pack who will retrieve a ball. But, make no mistake, they do it because they know they'll get a cookie (biscuit) for it. And I have plenty of others who will *pretend* to go after the ball, then turn around halfway out and come back to claim their cookie. Hey, they ran after the ball, doesn't that get them the reward?

If you really, really want her to chase and retrieve something for you, try using a stuffed squeaky toy. That will be far more interesting to her. Throw it a short distance, and encourage her to bring it back to you. Reward her with a treat when she does. Increase the distance as she becomes consistent in bringing the toy back.

But understand that, if you stop rewarding her, she'll likely stop bringing the toy back -- especially if she can carry it off somewhere and gut the squeaker out of it.

Good luck!

Source(s): Siberian husky owner/exhibitor, musher, rescue, breeder. Owner of *one* Siberian (in a large pack) who will actually fetch a ball just for the joy of it, and without being bribed.
  • LOL. "Fetch" is not in a Husky's job description.

You CAN teach them, but it is a step-by-step process. And it's unlikely that the average husky would retrieve "for fun".

HaHa

Huskies have a mind of their own and will only do something if they want to and if they see a good reason to:)

No, if she gets it, she will not give it back, its more fun having you chase her.

But you have to love them. They are great dogs..

I starred your question for Loki or Phil they have more experience then I do

Hereis a great Article on Teaching your dog fetch :) Peace

Good Luck !

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/dogsarticles/How-To-Tea...