Au revoir and Adieu?

What is the difference between 'au revoir' and 'adieu'? Is there a difference in the usage of these two expressions, because they both mean the same thing right?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"Au revoir" means :

see you later, till later... whether you'll meet again in 5 minutes or in 5 weeks.

"Adieu" means : Farewell either you won't see this person ever again or this person is going on a very long journey e.g. going to live abroad and years may pass before you see each again.

Source(s): French tutor & native speaker
  • most
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Adieu Means

• Maya
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Good bye and farewell. Au revoir literally means "to see again" Adieu means literally "to God" (we'll see each other in heaven when we're both dead)

Aurora is right, but adieu and au revoir don't really mean the same thing. As she said, if you say "Adieu" to someone it means that you don't want to see them ever again, or that you think you will never see them again. It's pretty sad or bad to say it, so barely never say it.

Source(s): native
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Both "au revoir" and "adieu" mean the same thing, but "au revoir" can be translated to "see you later" in English and "adieu" is more of "goodbye" in English and and is also said, if you don´t know when you are going to see the other person again.

Adieu is also more formal, it can also be said to a person, if you don´t want to see him/her evermore (but don´t tell anyone

that I told you, but it´s quite true)!

Maya is quite right, A Dieu means: to God, but nobody things like that, when saying ""Adieu".

(Came to think of it: "adjö" in Swedish also means "goodbye", the pronunciation is the same as in French.)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

as i recall, "au revoir" is more like "till we see each other again" so it is a tad less formal, more friendly.

I have no idea if they are actually used differently by native French speakers.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

au revoir means goodbye , until we can see/engage each other.

• 5 years ago

My son just read Romeo and Juliet and Romeo tells Juliet adieu what does that mean?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.