what material is the car body made of?

one of my friends recently had an accident. The body was damaged. But the insurance company pointed to a line which says 'only 50% of the cost of damage to plastic' can be claimed. and 30% of fibre glass. Is the entire body made of plastic? then what can we claim through insurance? the underside of the car?

does this line exist everywhere in the world?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Car bodies are made out of steel. You can prove this by putting a magnet on it. It will stick - which means there is iron (steel is an alloy of iron and carbon).

I don't think car bodies would be made out of aluminium. I doubt its strong enough to widthstand a collision. Magnets won't stick to aluminium. You can test it like that.

There is one car - the DeLorean, who's body is made out of stainless steel. The panels look like a stainless steel fridge!

Some cars also have a carbon-fibre bonnet to reduce weight.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Car Body Material

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what material is the car body made of?

one of my friends recently had an accident. The body was damaged. But the insurance company pointed to a line which says 'only 50% of the cost of damage to plastic' can be claimed. and 30% of fibre glass. Is the entire body made of plastic? then what can we claim through insurance? the...

Source(s): material car body of: https://biturl.im/9iyOq
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This sounds completely retarded. I'm not sure what company your friend signed up with but it sucks. The internal safety cage and the frame of a car are usually made of steel. Most car companies make the bumpers out of plastics now, some make the hoods out of carbon fiber and fiberglass. Unless he has some exotic Ferrari Enzo or something which is all hand laid carbon fiber.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The composition of cars will vary by make and model. Many car bodies are mostly aluminum or some other light metal, but the bumpers are often made of plastic. Some sports cars use mostly fiberglass (instead of metal) to reduce the weight and increase performance.

• 5 years ago

Land Rovers have been making defenders with aluminium bodies from day one

• 4 years ago

mainly steel

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.