Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Engineering disciplines?

I've been thinking about what I want to study at uni next year (I'm in yr12 now) and because I really like maths and the sciences I think I would like to do engineering. I don't know what type though. I don't like biology as much as chemistry, physics and maths, but still enjoy it. Lately I've been thinking about civil, chemical, aeronautical, but I guess I don't know enough about each one and what they involve. Because I think I would enjoy most of them maybe I should look at the highest paying ones. So if anyone has any info or advice or anything for me that would be great. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Overview of common Engineering majors...

Chemical -- This has traditionally been associated with studying how to produce large-scale chemicals (petroleum, methanol, etc), but recently has seen increased demand in how to produce small-scale chemicals (biologics, pharmaceuticals, etc). They are also 'engineering' chemicals (i.e., designing chemicals with a design goal in mind), research things like chemical separations technology, polymers, electrochemistry, etc.

Civil -- Analysis of structural integrity of buildings, bridges, logistics involved with planning a city, and the design thereof. Probably the most straight forward of all engineering majors, and has the least research potential than others.

Mechanical (Aeronautical) -- Many MechEng supplement the work of Chemical Engineers in large processes, specializing in the mechanical aspects of process equipment (pumps, centrifuges, etc), others design engines, cars, airplanes, etc. One major research focus has been in nanotechnology, and robotics (although CompSci and EE are important for robotics research, too).

Electrical Eng -- Designing circuit boards for electronics, programming the embedded CPUs in those circuit boards, researching how electrical circuits would work in nanotechnology, etc.

Environmental Engineering -- Overlaps somewhat with Chemical Engineering. Basically, how one would use chemical engineering knowledge to solve environmental problems such as pollution.

Biomedical Engineering -- A mixing pot of Chemical, Electrical, and Mechanical Engineering paradigms, and how all these cirriculums can be used to solve new problems in biology and medicine, such as tissue engineering, robotic prosphetics, etc.

Hope that helps!

ChemEng and EE get paid the most out of undergraduate school. EE are in heaviest demand, Most BME go to medical school, and MechEng have a pretty stable job outlook. Civil Engineers work for municipalities or for civil engineering firms that act like architectural firms might. (But the two aren't the same, even if their job definition is somewhat overlapping).

I would look at your school's Engineering Bulletin for more in-depth information!

Source(s): Chemical Engineer here...can you tell? :D Columbia SEAS, Class of 2008

I was in the same position you are now. Honestly, just do some research on what you like, and pick whichever field you like best. All types of scientific engineering fields will have you studying a lot of math, and theory. I was considering chemical or biological eng. but then I decided to follow a field that I always liked.

I personally am going into computer engineering because I love computers and tech! But it is a highly paid field, and all future advancements in application to everyday life will be made there. It is also a field that changes quickly so after gaining the knowledge you may need to learn more as time goes on.

Source(s): Take a look at this, it has the descriptions for different types of engineeng. http://www.sinc.stonybrook.edu/Stu/hnaseer/photo.h... Will attend: Columbia University School of Engineering and Applied Science.

the honestly route artwork of all of those are similar as a lot as a level and then after the 2d 3 hundred and sixty 5 days they diverge and develop into extremely fairly specialist. mechanical is somewhat equivalent to aeronautical and physics. All of those require a very extreme factor of math (a lot less so with chemical i imagine). differential equation is usual in mechanical and electric powered once you should sparkling up structures. apparently, mechanical structures might want to be modeled an similar way an electric powered circuit might want to be. the priority with classical mechanical strategies for fixing complications is they are frequently very simplified. commonly a authentic challenge isn't so straight forward as a e book challenge and numerical strategies must be used. one element to think about is that electric powered engineers are frequently engaged on reducing aspect stuff. What has fairly revolutionized the computing international develop into no longer a lot the microprocessor (in spite of the indisputable fact that it performed its section honestly), in spite of the indisputable fact that it develop into the skill to keep wide quantities of advice in minuscule quantities of area. thanks the electric powered engineers for that. yet thank the mechanical engineers (and honestly the chem e's too) for honestly making them because with out more suitable production tactics, the storage structures are merely neat theories.