1998 Cadillac STS wont start with no noise when key is turned?

car has been sitting for a while now but the problem happened before it sat. Battery was drained trying to get it to start but can be powered from a jump. When you turn the key the car makes no noise and the dashlights go out except the service engine light. If anyone has any idea on what this might be I would be very appreciative. Thank You

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The motor ran away and is laying low. Actually I just learned this GM starter motors lock up when sitting for a long time and have to be replaced. And a Cadillac is a Chevy with different chrome on it. So that could be the problem.

• 4 years ago

This happened to me on the Interstate 90 miles from home. Lights started going down, car losing power. Fortunately, we got to an exit with a parts store still open and a friend to drive us to the store. The alternator had failed, of course, and the car had run on just the battery until the battery almost gave out. We had to buy all three different alternators that were used on that year car, pull the alternator, match it with one of the three, install the good one, and return the other two to another store the next day. Our friend gave us a jump start, since the battery was about drained, and the good alternator charged the battery back up as we drove home. Happy ending! Best regards, Mike

• 1 decade ago

CLEAN THE TERMINALS OF THE BATT WITH THE CABLES OFF THEN, RETIGHTEN AND CHARGE .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.