Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What should i read? 10 points for best books?

I love dark, gothic type books. Do you know any good ones in the young adult section? Please in clude:

1. title/author

2. brief summary

3. anything inappropriate that average parents would not approve of? (yes, no)

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =3

Favorite Answer

For classics, I'd pick:

Wuthering Heights--by Emily Bronte. The stormy passion between Heathcliff and Cathy in 1830s England is doomed when Cathy decides to marry a man of status, devastating Heathcliff and ruining the lives of future generations.

Jane Eyre--by Charlotte Bronte (Emily's sister). A young girl is brought up without any famiy, then serves as governess at the house of Mr. Rochester, a wealthy man who has a dark secret.

Wide Sargasso Sea--by Jean Rhys. An imagined account of Mr. Rochester's life in the New World before his adventures in Jane Eyre. Excellent.

Rebecca--by Daphne du Maurier. An anonymous, meek companion to an American socialite marries a mysterious man, then returns to his large Cornwall estate with him. However, she finds that the staff is largely faithful to her husband's dead ex-wife--and it seems like she is haunting the house.

...All of these books are appropriate and are considered classics. Any parent who deeply values education would strongly support their kids reading these books.

The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer is really good. It's not necessarily dark, but it's basically a romantic thriller all about vampires and werewolves. Starts with Twilight, then New Moon, and Eclipse. Next one comes out soon. Great fight scenes and the endings of each book are always the best - very suspenseful.

I haven't read these books, but it sounds like something you'd like (dark and gothic): Marked and a series called Sweep. I don't know who the authors are either, but my friend absolutely loved them. Marked is about vampires, only it has a weird twist to the classic vampire books, and Sweep is about wiccans. A Great And Terrible Beauty is also good, but maybe a little too nice. Definitely gothic in some parts, but otherwise a period piece.

Happy hunting!

1 - Tithe ;; Holly Black

2 - It's a dark romance story in a way - the guy's a fey from the unseelie court, which is supposedly the "bad court" where they enjoy torture and torment. There's three books out currently and although it's doubtful, I'm hoping for a fourth.

3 - Language, perhaps a little sexuality.. not much.

It's not too dark but all the books I consider dark are depressing as hell and I can probably name - at the least - ten. (;

Good summaries are on amazon.com, but here's by list

1. The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. A vampire/human romance...it's one of my absolute favorite books.

2. A Great and Terrible Beauty Trilogy by Libba Bray. A book about a stand-out girl who has a terrible and wonderful gift to travel to realms beyond the regular world. It has a dark tone to it, and there is a romance in it as well. There's a little bit of sexual stuff, but it's not too bad. Victorian times.

3. A Crack in the Line by Michael Lawrence. About parallel worlds. These books were sort of creepy, but in a good way. They have complex plots and ideas. Nothing is too bad in this book.

4. What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles. About a girl who is burried alive by a revenge-ridden boy. The boy's brother committed suiced, and he believes the girl is part of his suicide. As he talks to her through a walkie talkie, the problems in both their lives unravel. It's a little scary in a sense, but it's a really good read.

Source(s): I love books =D

1. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

2. About a young man named Edmond Dantes. Read the rest to find out about it (its worth it as my fav book ever)

3. Has some minor bloodshed, but its a great classic that any parent would love their kid to read.

Lovely Bones - By Alice Sebould

About a girl that gets murdered, (not a horrible novel I promise) who watches he family from a limbo sort of place. Before she can go to heaven she has to see and try and help her parents to find her killer.

Amazing and touched me, though i'm 17.

I would not let a child younger then 16 read it, for the more mature reader.

1. Book 1-Heaven

Book 2-Dark Angel

Book 3-Fallen Hearts

Book 4-Gates of Paradise

Book 5-Web of Dreams

Author- V.C. Andrews

2.Go to http://www.completevca.com/ for more info.

Vampire Academy Series The Secret Circle series The Vampire Diaries series Harry Potter series The Mortal Instrument Series The Uglies series The Loreon Legacies series (i think thats how its spelled) Inheritance series Warriors series The hunger games series Percy Jackson series

Even if it not the darkest (killing, yes, but other things I dont know), have you ever read 'Harry Potter'? I know probably a lot of people tell you to read these, but they really are GOOD. Altough, in a way it does depend on what your style is. Hope this helps!

1.) Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen/ Garth Nix

2.) Read them and find out!

3.) Not that I can think of

And those V.C. Andrews books can get a bit dirty if you're trying to avoid your parents disapproval (I've read them so I know ;)