SASSA asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

what is the best dog food for sensitive stomachs?

Best Answer

Here is a site that will show you which dog foods are the best and the worst. I suggest that you get any one of the dog foods that are top rated.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Most of grocery store dog food formulas, like IAMS, Pedigree, Science Diet, Purina,and etc contain "meat and bone meal" which has been known to contain dead dogs and cats that were euthanized in animal shelters. Their bodies are picked up and bought by the truck load by "rendering plants" , that also pick up road kill, dead live stock, and etc. They are shredded, and boiled. They skim off the fat on the top of the "soup" and collected it and sell it to pet food companies as "animal fat", the rest of the animals' remains are crushed up, dried and sold to dog and cat food companies as meat and bone meal.

You can read more about it here.

http://earthislandprojects.org/eijournal/fall97/fe...

Here is an article where the owner of a rendering plant talks about it. He says that cremating the dead shelter animals would cause pollution, and that rendering them is good.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m5072/is_12_...

Here is further information on what you shouldn't see in the ingredients list in your dog's food.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badin...

Top rated dog foods like Canidae contain good healthy ingredients.

Purina is CRAP food.

Most dogs with "sensitive" stomachs are just intolerable to the corn igredient, the fillers, and the useless byproducts and dyes that are in his/her food.

Switching to Innova, Orijen, Canadie, Timber Wolf, GoldBreed, or any other top dog foods will help you out. As reccomended before, the BARF diet is an excellent natural diet for your dog, vets and trainers highly reccomend it, so really I'd talk to your vet about what the dog is specifically sensitive to and go from there.

Chances are, though, it IS the corn. My dog, Max, has a sensitive tummy too, and we switched to Innova Premium Puppy Food and we've never had a problem since.

It really depends on the dog - there may be certain ingredients that cause your dog to be sick. Some of the superpremium foods are very rich and high in protein and can cause upset stomachs while also cheap supermarket foods can have a lot of additives and poor quality ingredients that can cause problems too.

I have an allergic dog and we feed California Natural that was designed for allergic dogs - it has only a few ingredients (thus less likely to trigger allergies) and it is high quality. A food like this may be a good choice because there are fewer ingredients to potentially trigger problems.

There are also prescription foods for this purpose, though I don't like Science Diet much, which is the leading prescription food company. It may be something you need to discuss with your vet, especially if problems continue.

• Susan

The owner of the dog needs to know how to "operate" the dog, same way you can get into a car that's in perfect running order but if you don't know how to drive you won't have much luck making the car go anywhere. If the owner doesn't know how to maintain the training, the dog will soon become untrained again. Read more here https://tinyurl.im/1xZ6S

People seem to think that once a dog is trained, that's it. Not true. You must reinforce the dog's training every single day in some way. It's best if the owner and the dog go together to get trained. As a professional trainer once said to me "We can train any dog in 2 days. It takes longer to train the owners

Working at a vet office there is a perscription dog food that you can get that will help with sensitive stomachs. If you talk to your vet they would be able to point you in the right direction.You can try D/D or I/D that is made for dogs with digestion issues. If you look online there is a description of each food that is available by perscription from your vet. Look at the list and this would be easier for you to see what symptoms that your dog may have.

http://animalhousemagazine.com/hills_prescription_...

I'm not sure if you have a Tractor Supply Company near you but they have a very good and very affordable dog food called Retriever. My dog had a very sensitive stomach and this was receommended by a vet and it works great.

Give the BARF diet a try! BARF stands for Bones And Raw Food. It's mimics what dogs used to eat when they were just wild animals. Check out the link below for more ideas and information. If you dog doesn't do well processed store-bought food, this might be worth a try.

• Jennabee is a GENIUS. Cooked meat and grains should be considered poisonous to dogs (in my opinion). Grain breaks down into a ton of sugar which is bad enough but to add to it's negativity it also takes much longer to digest in dogs which means it just sits in the intestines of a dog causing a multitude of problems. Cooking meat destroys the enzymes and therefore destroys the nutritional value of the meat you feed your dog. Dogs are designed to eat raw meat by nature/God/whatever you want to call it. Dogs don't have hands to make fire, dogs don't have the longer intestinal tract of herbivores/omnivores, so therefore, they should be fed what nature intended. Fresh raw meat. Some people worry about salmonella, and e. coli, and all those other deadly bacteria, but they don't affect dogs, cats, or any other carnivore/omnivore on planet Earth except human beings. A dogs stomach acid, saliva, and immune system are extremely efficient at destroying the bacteria we associate with raw meats because...they were designed to eat it from the floor up! It sounds expensive is what most people say, but call a butcher. Beef/lamb hearts and livers are almost given away. Some cuts of beef (stew cuts) are inexpensive, chicken and turkey are always inexpensive, and if you know anyone who hunts, venison and rabbit is free. Can't beat that health wise or price wise. Anyway, I hope you research feeding raw and more importantly implement it. Good luck with your dog's digestive problem (which I guarantee with go away if you switch to raw).

Source(s): I'm a professional GSD breeder/trainer who feeds and has fed every dog in his kennel a raw diet for the past 8 years with outstanding results. No allergies, no kidney problems, no diabetes, and no tummy troubles either.

My vet had recommended cottage cheese and rice when my dog's tummy was upset. And then probably boiled chicken and rice for a regular diet. If you only wanted to buy over the counter I would probably recommend Royal Canin or Canidae. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

• *****

It depends on what ingredient(s) disagree with your dog. I would avoid foods with corn, wheat, or soy in any form, these commonly cause allergies and other adverse digestive issues. I also prefer not to feed my dogs anything with by-products. After that, I would recommend trying sample sizes of any foods that you are interested in and see if one agrees with your dog. The feed store I buy my dogs' food at carries lots of quality brands and stocks free sample sizes of all of them so you can try before you buy. Even if yours doesn't regularly stock the sample sizes, they can probably get some for you.