Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

How long after a sunburn goes away can you sunbathe again?

Hi. I was wondering, how long after a sunburn goes away (I mean the redness fades and it doesn't feel uncomfortable anymore) can you sunbathe again? I don't actually sunbathe, but when I go hiking I spend all day in the sun... I wear sunscreen (factor 30), but still...

Thanks.

To all those who are saying "DON'T SUNBATHE, YOU CRAZY GIRL!!!": My god, people. If you have read the question you'll see that I've said I don't actually sunbathe, but I go hiking and of course there's sun outside, I can't help it. I'm not going to stop hiking altogether! Also, I do wear sunscreen/sunblock (factor 30, as I said).

To the comments like "It's not like you can get a double sunburn". Of course I can get burnt again. The sun is pretty brutal here, if I didn't wear any sunscreen I'm *SURE* I would get burnt again.

Ok, I'll try a sunblock with a higher factor. Thanks to all the rest. I'll choose a best answer later. Bye.

Favorite Answer

Go but wear 50 spf (sunBLOCK). Trust me, you don't want to get 20 years down the road and regret every single wrinkle just because you didn't wear enough protection.

And oh, have fun!

• Kris L

You should NEVER 'sunbathe' and if you get a sunburn when you are out, your sunscreen is not strong enough, and/or you aren't putting it on often enough. When I was a child (in the early 1950s) I got sunburned at least once every summer. When I was 21 years old, I had to have surgery for the malignant melanoma on my back at the base of my neck. It was LARGE ... the size of a 50 cent piece. I now look as if someone tried to burn my head off. They cut me down to the bone, amputated the six muscles at the base of my neck in back, and took two inches of muscle all the way from armpit to armpit, and took the lymph glands from both armpits. That is NOT a 'good look' but I do show it to people who are 'sunbathing' ... this CAN happen to you if you sunbathe. The pollution in the world has blown a 'hole' in our 'air supply' so that more of the 'bad rays' can reach the surface of the earth now ... and it is getting WORSE and WORSE every year. So ... clothes are usually NOT 'protection' against the 'bad rays' of the sun ... use SPF 50 and put it on ALL OVER your body. Wear a hat with a wide brim, and wherever you can see skin when you are out should have more sunscreen applied at least every two hours (one hour is better, but not always practical). BE SAFE. I don't want you or anyone to have the scar I have and that CAN HAPPEN if you aren't being 'safe' in your application of sunscreen ... and if you have 'burned' you are NOT BEING SAFE.

Source(s): I was told I had three months to live after that surgery. I am now 57, and think I lived so I could warn younger people about how BAD the sun is. Sit in the shade and ALWAYS wear sun screen, even if it's cloudy ... you can still 'burn' and you can still get skin cancer ...

Are you crazy, Have you not taken any attention to the advise of the dangers of sunburn / Sunbathing....

ADD... You wouldnt get sunburnt at all if you wore the correct sun blocker and you didnt expose yourself so much to it...

There are plenty of people who live in hot sunny climates and dont get burnt so stop making excuses...

Lol...I like that you said "sunbathe." Anyway, as long as it doesn't hurt and isn't red anymore you're fine, just were sunblock. Maybe try a higher SPF if you're getting burnt.

I don't think there is a time frame. I think as long as you have on sunblock and keep applying it every few hours, you can go out with the sun burn still.

don't sunbathe until you feel normal again OK

never!!! sunbathing causes cancer!! you should always have at the very least spf 15 on at all times in the outdoors.. even in the winter. is a tan worth dying for????

Im a retired 41 year old single male with a house on the beach here in Acaulco Mexico. I dont understand your question. :)

Source(s): Time to flip :)

I'm not an expert but have had plenty of sun burns. As soon as your skin is healed I think it would be fine. It's up to you and what your skin can take.

It doesn't matter, just go back out. It's not like you can get a double sunburn.

Source(s): Web MD