area52
area52 asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 decade ago

Do you agree with French president Sarkozy comment on Sumo?

Sarkozy said, "How can anyone be fascinated by these battles between fat with slicked-sown

ponytails? Sumo wrestling is really not a sport for intellectuals."

What do you think?

Best Answer

that's a very surface level look at Sumo. sumo is alot faster and more exciting than people think. I prefer it to boxing where just two boxers slug each other sometimes for hours - now that's boring and hardly intellectual.

He should watch this video to see how fast those "fat guys" really are and how exciting some matches can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G72bQBMZmzs

Youtube thumbnail

I should to think the same way as Sarkozy but after watching it on TV then attending the tournaments I came away with a different point of view:

http://samuraidave.wordpress.com/2008/01/27/sumo-m...

So no I don't agree with Sarkozy's view. I would have years ago but only out of ignorance. If Sarkozy gave sumo a bit of attention I think he would change his mind as I did.

I don't really disagree with Sarkozy, but not just about Sumo. I think the Japanese are smart enough to understand it that way. Like the poster above said, all sports are really a way to numb the masses. It's not a novel idea by the way.

"Panem et circenses..."

Let's not forget that his predecessor Jacques Chirac was a big Sumo fan. Maybe there's a sense of resentment there on Sarkozy's part.

No sport requires athletes or viewers to be intellectually inclined. That's why people are fascinated by cars going around and around a track at 100 mph or people kicking a ball across a field.

truthfully, sorry to declare this, yet no one extremely cares what Nicholas Sarkozy thinks. maximum individuals discover him extremely unpresidential by way of fact of his fling with the twiglet, that, in my opinion, does not even seem solid. Obama went to the incorrect man or woman to substantiate his prowess. individuals are waiting for Obama to flow to a great chief like margaret Thatcher or somebody like that to guarantee us that he's a solid candidate. not Obama's ultimate determination, on my section.

Yeah, another shining example about French diplomacy. We nearly terminated our relations with them because of similar comment from one of their diplomats about my country.

Anyway, Sarkozy is acting like Bush, the only difference is that Bush is still married.

Let him say. He knows nothing about the culture.