Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 1 decade ago

Will you live on 4 hours sleep a day?

My friend told me of a sleeping cycle that you can live on and it takes 2 weeks to adjust. Apparently you sleep every 3 hours for 1 hour and you will survive but if you miss a cycle you die. Hes pretty smart but I thought its impossible because I read your body sleeps in 1 and a 1/2 hour cycles and repeats and it takes 3 hours for your body to realise your sleeping and start dreaming. So whos right me or him?

Favorite Answer

Neither of you are right. Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about. As a teen you need 8 1/2 to 9 hours of sleep and as an adult you can do with 8 (teens need more sleep as we are growing). You need that amount of sleep because your brain needs to renew it self, (your brain is actually in most activity while you are sleeping) and that doesn't start before 4 hours of sleep which means that you get 4 more hours of renewing brain cells before you get up. If your brain doesn't get enough sleep, you don't die, but you can collapse at any time anywhere, even if your driving a care or in some other life threatening situation. If this happens it feels like you can't control your own body and everything just shuts off, like an empty battery. It is very unhealthy to do what your friend says, most people just don't understand how important sleeping is. Sleeping is like food if you don't get it you can't function properly. If you don't eat you can't function at your best in athletics, if you don't sleep you the brain can't function at is beast and you don't do that well in school.

I could survive on a five hour sleep cycle, but not much less. I did it five nights a week when I was in college, working full time and then doing a rotation.

The human body, way back in the 'Age Before Lights", had to adjust , because, though they were the hunters during the day, they were the prey in the dark.

It is a pr oven fact, that we have a 'clock' set in our systems. We are at our best early in the morning, think clearest in the early afternoon, and start to wind down in the evening. Our bodies are made to rest and sleep at night.

The dream state you suggested, I experience only at night. During naps, I prefer to call them power naps or cat naps, I do not dream. I don't think it is for the lack of REM sleep. Yes the body does go through cycles of sleep, and yes, it is in stages. In each cycle, one goes through "Light sleep" when one is semi-awake, you still hear the door bell, if someone calls your name you will respond. The next part of the cycle, is actual sleep, where you toss and turn. Then the deepest, or REM sleep, where you dream.

As the hours pass the cycles get longer. So the whole cycle when you first go to bed and sleep may be 45 minutes, to one hour. Then the next, each stage of the cycle is a little longer. Repeating until the longest is last cycle.

You could live on a shorter sleeping schedule but your body would have to adjust. And your health may suffer.

Source(s): Apnea Sleep study done on my children. Why they needed them, as explained by our doctor.

That sounds so TRUE. I cannot live sleeping 4 hours a day. I need to re-charge at least 7 hours [Workdays] or maximum 10 hours [Sundays]. What do you think? I know someone who died from not sleeping, and it's true, seriously. She's been asked to work many hours a day, like a slave, and she lack appetite to eat, and sleep. Next day, heart failure, whole body system shutdown. The employer was at NO FAULT. Was it the deceased person's fault? Was she afraid of not completing a task, so therefore, she worked 'till she die?

I'm no scientist but he sounds like an idiot to me.

If you're body is exhausted from lack of sleep it will collapse to sleep rather than perish, i would think. Plus if you're sleeping for an hour at a time you're not sleeping properly, not regenerating. you're just resting/napping. I'm pretty sure I've heard of the cycles thing too.

My dad slept on 4 hours sleep every night for 25 years!

I'd rather sleep in 8-10 hour increments

That sounds like Polyphasic sleep. Scheduled napping to achieve more wake time has not been confirmed to date. Most people give up trying.

technically you couldn die you would just fall a sleep and sleeping cycles can be to a minimum of 4 hours sleep yes, but i really woldn advise it as you would be extremely anaemic

im sure u can do it but in ime ur body will automaticallt reboot itself with power naps, or adjust with little problems that the body will create to help itself...if not then the body is more prone to catch common little things that u normally wouldnt get with proper immune strength. so if u get cancer at worst at least u know where u got it from

• rb

ive done it way more than i wouldve liked. i agree that it prob takes about two weeks to regulate your sleep cycle... funny how it only takes 1 day to mess it up.