Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Aquarium gravel?

How many Five pound bags of gravel do I need to put in a 150 gallon aquarium? Also Is it better to use gravel or sand?

Favorite Answer

a good rule of thumb to use is 1.5-2 lbs of gravel per gallon(it all depends on how deep you want your bed to be, you definately want at least an inch... i always like to give them 2 or a little under so they can rearrange it as they see fit...)... that is usually for a standard rectangle though... like if you have a hexagon or a tall tank, of course its gonna be less, but heres your difference... gravel stays put but its harder to clean than sand... you almost have to have a siphon unless you want to pull all of your gravel out and hose it off periodically.. sand of course looks more like a river bed(in some cases, there are gravel riverbeds.) and sand is easier to clean,(you dont have to shove the siphon in the sand you just have to hold it above it cause the junk doesnt sink in, it just sits on top) but sand can be kicked up and get sucked up into your filter and if you get sand in your filter its pretty much ruined... you will have to change filters way more often with sand, especially with fish who like to dig and kick up the bedding.... if you have cichlids, some like to dig and if so you will want gravel.... a good medium is fine gravel... its less coarse than regular gravel but doesnt get sucked into your filter like sand.... i have always used regular gravel, just because i have fish who like to dig and they do it a pebble at a time, its acutally quite cool to watch.... and i have never had any problems cleaning gravel with a siphon.... best of luck, hope it helps...

Source(s): 10+ years personal experience

I am trying to remember how many bags of gravel I had to buy for my 150g. I know it was all they had at the time ;)

Sand vs Gravel really comes down to your preference. Unless your getting a fish that is sand only. I have gravel in all of my tanks but some people only use sand. Just depends on what your going to keep and what you like best.

it all depends on what you like better, gravel or sand

IMO sand is not hard to clean at all, you actually just sift over the sand surface with the gravelsiphon, that's it, no need to stir into the sand, whereas to gravel you put your siphon in all the way into the ground

if you're planning a marine tank, sandsifter snails will stir up your sand

if you're doing a freshwater tank, you will need to stir up the sand by yourself a couple of times a week, turkeybaster works best for that

as for how much, the general rule is 1-1.5 pounds per gallon

I would also buy rather 25 or even a 50 pound bags instead, you will pay way less for that

if you go for the 25pound bags, you will need about 7

if you go for the 50 pounds, you will need about 3-4

depending on how much you will put in

hope that helps

Good luck

Eve

• Dan V

It all comes down to personal preference in the end - unless of course you are keeping fish that require something specific.

I have had sand in my tanks for years. Planted tanks at that. I have never had a bit of trouble with it and it doesn't get sucked up in the filter. The water stays crystal clear - effortlessly.

I consider it an advantage that the waste stays on top - when I vac my tank, I can tell by looking that I get everything. Nothing is hidden in the gravel. Vacuuming sand is quick and easy.

From what I see above, I guess I have been doing something wrong all these years. *shrug*

• godde

relies upon very much on what sort of fish/animal you have in it, what number, how vast the tank is, what sort of filter out, and extra. maximum folk propose gravel in view that's yet another place for stable bacteria to develop. some fish want sand to dig in, so substrate is a might desire to. on the different hand, in case you have some thing particularly messy, consisting of a turtle, or one in each and every of those fish everyday for eating gravel, then gravel is a no-no. no rely what you nonetheless might desire to vacuum the backside of the tank, despite if there's no gravel gunk will circulate to the backside. I want gravel in fish tanks because of the fact in my view i think of it seems that extra constructive.

i have around 200 - 210 pounds of gravel in my 180gallon tank, rough rule of thumb is 1 pound per gallon if i'm not mistaking...

personnally i had sand in my 180g tank befor and just didn't like it as much as gravel and thought it was harder to keep the water clear

hope this helps :)

It depends on what you like, gravel or sand. Unless your fish specifically calls for sand or something.

Easily a pound a gallon.

go bulk or make a deal.

sand is a pain in the butt to clean, gets in your filter pump and water has a hard time going threw it so live plants love to die.

Aswell fish waste sits on top so you will always see it until you vacuum it which is trick in it's self.

or if no live plants

2-3 inches of coverage is all you need.

if your in the fish store those instant ocean 25kg pales...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i3/Salt...

those 3 pales in the picture filled will put 3 inches in that tank

the pale size is all i'm trying to explain.

good luck!!

that will be an awsome tank.

1 pound per gallon, and sand makes it harder to keep your aquarium because grains can get sucked into the filter and ruin the impeller, also, it looks dirtier easier as for gravel, natural color hides most debrees, take care