Proof that God exists?

Personally, I'm an atheist, but as a human I'm wondering what people of Christians, Muslims, or any other religion had to say concerning the proof that god exists--in any way. I became an atheist simply because I couldn't find any proof toward the existence of a higher power, yet I could see all the... show more Personally, I'm an atheist, but as a human I'm wondering what people of Christians, Muslims, or any other religion had to say concerning the proof that god exists--in any way. I became an atheist simply because I couldn't find any proof toward the existence of a higher power, yet I could see all the proof saying that there was no god.

So basically, as a religous person, what exactly gives you faith? Is it because you were told to believe as a child, because you saw the truth yourself, or because of some other reason?

In the end I'm always open minded, so I wanted to ask this just to see other peoples opinions. I'm not gonna attack anyone because they're religious, you can believe whatever you wanna, I just wanna see another side. Thanks :)
Update: EDIT--i guess the main question i want answered is how and why do you have faith. the edit here is something i forgot and left out.. Why, exactly, if god exists, did god make himself so present in the biblical days and then expel himself from us completely afterword? this is my main "beef" with... show more EDIT--i guess the main question i want answered is how and why do you have faith. the edit here is something i forgot and left out..

Why, exactly, if god exists, did god make himself so present in the biblical days and then expel himself from us completely afterword? this is my main "beef" with christianity and the main reason i'm an atheist. .because as a logical person who thinks rationally, there's no real reason why god would leave us alone after pestering humanity so extensively in the bible. he put the messiah on the planet and was "discovered" by most of humanity and left. the other reason i'm atheist is because the bible talks like christianity has been around forever and people always knew god as he is in the bible, yet any person can look back and see that before christianity there was many other religons, and before jesus you'd be called a liar if you told someone about the christian god. it makes me think that he's just another in the long line of human gods. anyways, yeah