Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetWikipedia · 1 decade ago

How to get a global account for Wikimedia?

I edit at several wikis and edit most I come across. I hate to constantly register, so is it possible to get an account that can be used globally, i.e for all English projects of Wikimedia or all projects all languages, etc?

Favorite Answer

The global account system is currently active on Wikimedia projects. It is, however, still being tested, debugged, and rolled out, so for the time being, only users who are administrators (or "sysops") on at least one wiki can create global accounts.

This is because the move to allowing global accounts from separate accounts involves, often manually, fixing name conflicts where one person has several different names on different wikis, or where multiple people would claim the same global username. It's a tricky issue and there are assorted technical issues involved; I'm afraid that all I can say is "wait until normal users can use it". Unless you become an administrator, that's the only solution.

In the meantime, however, you can both reserve your username on various wikis by registering at them and smooth the merging process by making sure that each account has the same email and same password specified in preferences. This will allow the system to easily and automatically merge your accounts into the global system as soon as the system is activated for all users.

I'm sorry that I can't offer a real solution, but there isn't one.

Source(s): I am an administrator on the English Wikipedia and have a global account, so I've already gone through this.
  • kainaw

Work is being done on making some sort of global account system. At this time, there is no means of having a global account. The best you can do is use the same username/password on each wiki.

The developers are working on it, but it is not operational at this time.