Am I eligible for dual citizenship?

I was born in America to an American father. My mother is Russian and was born in Russia.

Am I eligible for dual citizenship, and if so, how should I go about getting it?

I am eighteen.

Please help. Thank you.

• James
    Favorite Answer

Russia only grants citizenship by birth to those born to two Russian citizens, born to one Russian citizen and one unknown person, or born to one Russian citizen within Russia. It does not sound like any of those situations apply to you.

However, your citizenship would depend on the law at the time you were born, which could have been different. You would need to contact a lawyer with knowledge of the Russian legislative history. Russia and the United States both allow dual citizenship, so it's technically possible, as long as you meet citizenship requirements for both.

Yes you're born dual. Because you're born in Australia. Australian law dictates that if you are born before or on the 19 August 1986 you are automatically Australian at birth (first link). (provided that your parents are not in the country as foreign diplomats or enemies of Australia). As of this you can get an Australian passport or an Australian Citizenship Certificate (although I'm not sure why you would want the latter since your birth certificate would be fine). Your Australian passport will spell it out in black and white that your nationality is Australian (see second link). The British is a bit more annoying in paperwork. Because you were born in Australia in 1985 I'm guessing that your parents didn't register your birth with the UK embassy (which does give you an extra birth certificate and register your birth within the first year you were born). No matter, you are still automatically British via Descent providing your mother still had her British citizenship at the time of your birth (third link goes to the British embassy/passports section). The only thing available in your name is a British passport (you cannot apply for anything else that will confirm your citizenship). Fourth and fifth link will give more details on British citizenship.

No you are not. The USA does not recognize dual citizenship and makes you choose.

if america and russia have the dual citizenship law, then you can have both of it