guitarman asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is dog racing and horse racing inhumane?

I am a fan of both events but I do realize that it is quite unnatural for dogs and horses to be in that type of environment and racing for humans. I have also seen pictures of gruesome cases of mistreatment of dogs at the track.

• sarah
    Favorite Answer

I have a grey with no her on her backend from sitting in a kennel in her own urine. Must have been quite some time to permenantly damage the folicles.

I think we all saw examples of the damage racing can do to a horse today. Not to mention this is the second horse in as many triple crown races to suffer a fatal injury.

I don't know if you've ever been to a racetrack - either horse or greyhound - but there are many, many more animals than will ever find homes. Ever.

I believe in athletes, and have a great respect for both canine and equine athletes - I just don't like to see an industry get so wrapped around the money that the actual athletes are thrown away.

No kidding. Obviously though nothing is going to happen to these sports just because people make so much money. The Vet on the television said this is a rare occurence. Other people say its like people dieing in car accidents. Lots of people are ignorant how is horse racing like people dieing in car accidents. Another person answered Horses are supposed to be racing. I haven't heard much about Sled racing but obviously though it's real bad.

Everyone has there own opinion about racing dogs and horses. I think that dogs and horses should not be raced because of the risk of them receiving an injury. There are so many horses that are euthanized because they break a bone (like Eight Belles today in the Kentucky Derby). To me it seems like the horses are being forced to race, but that's just my opinion.

I have always heard bad things about racing greyhounds. I have heard that older dogs are abandoned and neglected when they can't race anymore and are abused when they didn't win a race.

It just broke my heart today when I found out that Eight Belles was euthanized. She ran her heart out and got second place;

she definitely deserved first place.

R.I.P Eight Belles.

I think it is, especially dog racing because dogs are companion animals who really need to bond with their people.

Dogs raised just for racing don't have that companionship, it is unnatural and cruel, and once their racing days are over, all too may are killed.

Greyhound rescue tries to save them, but there aren't enough homes for all of them.

Every once in a while you read horror stories about how the poor dogs are just killed at the end of their useful racing days - it is quite horrible, should be outlawed - hope it will be soon.

The actual thing of horses/dogs galloping along a track isn't cruel (except for putting them at dangerous obstacles e.g. the grand national)

but what goes on behind the scenes is the real cruelty, i.e. the mass slaughter of greyhounds/horses that aren't fast enough and dogs/horses that are too old to race and dogs/horses that get injured and aren't suitable for racing anymore.

Inhumane is something that a human would not like done to themselves. Ask yourself If you were taken from your family and bred to strangers and kept in a stall or corral and tattoo branded, nails put in your feet a bridle in your mouth, whipped with a crop and forced to race. As opposed to be completely free and doing what you want... what would YOUR answer be?

Yes, some will say most "owners" are nice... but if you were put in a "guided" cage, is it still not a cage? And if someone prevents you from roaming free and doing natural "horsey" things and being in their true environment it is still wrong, especially when it is for the "entertainment" of others...

• Sofy

Using animals for any sport is wrong. They stop being animals to be objects trained in other for us humans to make money. I dont find fun to watch those poor animals being pushed to their limit. The racing dogs love to run, its true but not in circles around a track, same with horses. Here is what bothers me: they train a horse, push him to the limit when he is young and when he breaks his legs while racing to make humans some money...humans kill the horsy because he is not worth it anymore. Animals are beings, not things like a basketball or a tennis racket!!!!

• Layla

That's an opinion... but remember that most racing animals work when they aren't fully grown up, which leads to serious health problems. When a horse or dog is too slow and is forced to retire, they are often killed.

i think as long as the animal enjoys it, it's only done in beautiful conditions (not muddy and windy etc.) and they are treated with utmost care when they're off the race track it's okay. it's when they slip in the mud and break legs and their whipped into condition 24/7 is when it becomes not okay. i realize that theres still going to be injuries even if the conditions are good but they might get hurt doing other things too.

My opinion on this is it is inhumane I mean when Seabuicit died they made super glue so that is my theory when a horse dies or can no longer race they sell them to glue factory's. As for dogs thats just mean making dogs chase a plastic bag. Take your dog for a walk instead.