3 yr old scared of shower curtain??

me and my husband have been babysitting my friends son for 2 weeks since he has been in the hospital and he is acting little wierd every time i tryed to give him a bath the shower curtain scares him out of his skin he crys and screams even if we take the shower curtain and wrap it around the rod he still crys the only way he will be ok if we take the whole curtain and rod down and he wont even go use the bathroom without me picking him and and putting him on the toliet without crying about the shower curtain. I ask him whats wrong but he wont tell me he just keep saying i scared, i hate to see him cry while taking a bath and using the bathroom. I hold him when he is crying and tell him everything will be alright and i have even fought the shower curtain to show him it cant do anything but it dont change anything. what could have happen to him? how can i help him? and another thing he pooped in the bathtub the other day while i was giving him a bath and he has never dont that?

and another thing he does not like being naked in front of anybody unless your giving him a bath and he wont run around in his underwear for nothing because one day when i could not find his pants he staring crying cause he wanted his pants.

Favorite Answer

Ask him what his favorite person is. Like Spider man, Sponge bob Square pants, Superman. Race car driver. Any super hero that he likes and find a shower curtain with something he likes or has in common with.

As far as pooping in the bathtub, try not to make light of what he did and start laughing about it. Scold him for what he has done and let him know that it's wrong to do that sort of thing in the bathtub. If he needs to go, he needs to tell you so you can get him on the toilet right away.

My son's are almost 3 and petrified of shower curtains. They get a little claustrophobic. Plus they hate flushing the toilet, because it makes a huge noise.

I just take my shower curtain down. Lay a towel infront of the shower, because it does leak a little.

As for the pooping in the bath, accidents happen. He is in a new environment, and may be a little nervous. Don't worry about it. He is still learning.

As for the whole naked thing. Some people aren't comfortable being naked. Some people don't like their children naked, and have taught them it's rude.

I would say No to the abuse, I am thinking it's his parents being uncomfortable with him naked around people.

Well you really need to find out why the shower curtain makes him so scared. The poo sounds like a result of his fear.

Maybe it reminds him of a curtain that was in the hospital?

You should talk to his parents, if he won't tell you.

Surround the bath with things that he likes.

Comfort him the whole time he is in the bathroom. And stay with him.

Maybe the print on the shower curtain scares him. I know it's probably a pain in the butt but if you are going to be baby sitting him for awhile, get a "kid friendly" shower curtain like mickey mouse or something and one of those rods that have the springs inside and rest against the wall for when he is over and take it down when he's gone.

Wow that is odd. The only thing I can think of is that he saw something happen in another bathroom and is afraid the same thing is going to happen there. Do you just have the one bathroom? If not try another one and see if the same thing happens. Sounds like he is scared of something, but has no idea or is too terrified to tell you.

What kind of shower curtain do you have? Maybe try a different kind.

Good luck.

change th shower curtain or if that doesn't work, get the showers with the door and frosted glass...

there is also another way but I don't think you'll need to use it...

Put him in the bathroom all alone with the curtain and he'll see that the curtain isn't doing anything. If he attacks the curtain leave him, if he continues for about 4 min. it's time to get worried

maybe he is just scared to be in the bathroom with people other than his parents doing anything, I would continue to just take the curtain down all the time if you believe that the cause of the problem

You could set the shower curtain near his play area temporarily and introduce what the baby considers to be dangerous slowly.

I'm not familiar with 3 year olds...they can speak by then, right?

If so, tell him it's just a sheet that makes it so people can't see you naked when you shower, its not going to hurt him.

There are more important things to be scared of when you're 3 than the shower curtain. I mean, if he was in the wild, his parents might eat him if they got hungry.

It's very possible that some kind of abuse could have happened to this boy and it happened in the shower/bath, or something to that affect. Kids don't act like that for nothing. I would definately call someone Child Protective Services or possibly a child therapist. Please get him help!

Source(s): Mother of 4 boys, currently 24 weeks pregnant with TWINS!