Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

What cover songs do you think are better then the original song?

Best Answer

You Really Got Me - Van Halen

Hound Dog - Elvis Presley

Crossroads - Cream

First of all, when people ask questions that start with "Why do people..." what people are they speaking of? Usually, these people do not exist. It's just a fabrication of the asker's curiosity. I mean, I've never heard ANYONE compare these two songs. And I know lot's of people. But I digress. Stairway To Heaven is anything but unique in it's structure or anything else. As a matter of fact, loosely speaking, song "Babe" by Led Zep is the same chording, and is frankly a better song. Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4 uses the same chords too. So does "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." And thousands of other songs. It's really not that big of a deal. By the time I learned how to play "Stairway" I was already tired of playing it. Bohemian Rhapsody is simple. You like it. You dont like it. I wouldnt listen to it twenty times on a dare. I wouldnt even THINK of putting Stairway on. I'd rather listen to a loop of Maurice Chevalliare singing "Every Little Breeze Seems To Whisper Louise." How many bands DO cover Stairway? How many dont cover Bohemian Rhapsody? And since when does the number of covers make a song great. Do you have any idea how many bands have played Proud Mary or Colour My World? Please let me know where you get your most requested facts. I live in Florida. The most requested song here is "Celebration" by K.C. and the Sunshine Band. I NEVER hear Stairway on the radio. Ever. As a matter of fact, I cant think of a time where I heard it so much that I noticed. Anyway, if you like Stairway, that's great. I hope you listen to it fifty times a day. But to imply that someone who doesnt, or who likes Bohemian Rhapsody more is somehow deficient as a music fan is just plain elitist.

Well I can't say this was better than the original, but Foo Fights cover of Prince's Darling Nikki was pretty good. I thought Gloria Estefan's cover of Turn the Beat Around was better than the original

Wishing on a Star By- The Covergirls(90's gir group)

but song by Rolls Royce a 70's band that had a smash hit with " Car Wash"

Dancing With Myself-Covered by The Donnas

Turning Japanese-Covered by Liz Phair

Heart of Glass-Covered by The Lunachicks

I think Elton John's version of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds is better than the Beatles' original version.

Elton's version is celebratory and joyous.

John Lennon, by the way, performed on both.

I also believe Sir Elton and his band improved on Pinball Wizard.

That pretty much never happens. The only remake I can think of offhand that was even as good as the original was Joss Stone's "Fell in Love With a Boy" -- it took the White Stripes song in a totally new direction, and it was equally as good as the first.

Youre So Vain covered by Chocolate Starfish.

HELL no, Bob Dylan's version of 'All Along The Watchtower' is WAY better than Hendrix's, much as I love it. Same with The Byrds' cover of 'Mr Tambourine Man'; it just doesn't compare.

However, The Band's cover of 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' is amazing, as is The Decemberists' version of Joanna Newsom's 'Bridges and Balloons'. The Smashing Pumpkin's cover of 'Landslide' by Fleetwood Mac is also incredibly good.

"Angel Of The Morning" Juice Newton

"Knockin' On Heaven's Door" Guns N' Roses

"Hanky Panky" 5, 6, 7, 8's

"Red Red Wine" UB40