Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Anxiety helps you achieve what you want, but why do people become depressed?

I understand when stressed with fear factors, people will rise to the occassion or act on their anxiety, but lately I've been very depressed. I think I've always been depressed, but lately its getting worse. I don't appreciate what I have anymore.

What is the point of getting depressed over everything, and how does the ever benefit the person?

Can you please help me?

Favorite Answer

Anxiety does not help you achieve what you want, it is arousal with does that - that is very different to stressed with fear factors.

Arousal is when Fight or Flight is under your control, by the definition anxiety is when you are out of control.

Depression is the body/mind system telling you to withdraw because you are damaged (physically or mentally). Unfortunately this is often not allowed until the person is so damaged they have to be taken to hospital or give drugs (after all we are a drug dependent society be they legal or illegal). It is so ridiculous because 80% of all people will suffer from depression in their lives. There is also some very effective interseptions at the low level. BUT we insist on moralising and condeming those with psychological and emotional problems.

Anxiety is a different emotion that depression. And if it gets to the point where you would start calling it 'anxiety' not 'stress' or 'tension' then its not going to be helpful. Stress would be butterflies in your stomach right before a math test, anxiety would be getting sick all over the place and then stealing a car to get as far away from school as possible or just freezing for the duration of the test. As for depression, when its to the level you're talking about, it might not have a benifit right away. In the long term, a lot of people experience something of a 'that which does not break me makes me stronger' thing, but the fact that it doesn't help your everyday life is part of why so many people who are clinically depressed take anti-depressants and are in therapy.

In my opinion getting depressed is not an option, it is a problem. I don't know of anyone who decides to be depressed. Depression is a serious condition that doesn't benefit anyone who has it. If you are depressed I think you should talk to someone; either a close friend/realtive, counselor, religious mentor of your choice, etc. You can also look for some kind of group session therapy in your area. If you are asking this question I believe you are looking for help and you should get some. There is help for depression, get it before your depression gets worse. I am sure you will feel better. Good luck.

I think sad feelings are innate within our being. We can't be happy all the time - and besides what really is happiness? We need to embrace the negative emotions and accept the fact that we are feeling this way - through which we need to channel to a positive light. Seems simplistic I know, but I often feel a bit down myself...and sometimes I used to think that life is so much easier just laying in my bed and sleeping all day and who gives a $%^&* about anything...I don't care.

Life falls apart when you forget the fact that you are living it. If you honestly feel that this is taking over your life then I suggest finding some outlets to release some of those emotions. Art helps - by just getting a piece of paper and free drawing allows you to release emotions; so does writing; going for a nice walk; baking or completing a task.

I think feeling sad allows us to know that when we feel happy we can. It allows us to recognize that within our beings we have the capacity to go to extreme emotional highs and lows - deciphering why we do is more difficult. Becoming consciously aware of the things and lead us to negative emotions allows us to consciously take action to change the way we live.

There is alway hope, that is one thing I know - and life is alway going to deal us cards we never wanted - but at the end of the day we're winners if we stick to it and really figure out what to do with the cards that we're dealt. There is always some way you can do it..

I have read some litterature about panic attacks. But they allways seem to have a more scientific approach and that is nothing I need in my struggle to survive those horrible panic attacks. This is a "hand on" and very practical book. I felt it was written to me. I am sure that you are going to feel the same.

Joe Barry writes exactly how I think. The examples are perfectly described. And the method is genius. I recommend this book and thanks Joe Barry for writing it. It changes your life

• ?

It appears like you wish to have a loved ones member or possibly a well buddy to speak to? Maybe ask your dad and mom to look a therapist. Sorry want I would aid extra, however that is simply my opinion!