me :) asked in SportsRunning · 1 decade ago

Beginner training for 5k... tips please!?

I've decided that I am going to run a 5k that is being held in mid October. I know this is a long time away and that 5k really isn't that far, but I want to start training for the run. I am not a runner. Right now it kills me to run for even a full minute. Actually, I don't know that I could run that long. :(

Please give me tips on what I need to do to get ready. Tell me what goals I should set and achieve by certain dates.

Just fyi... I have been going to the gym almost every day for the last three weeks doing a weights and cardio program set up by the gym. I can easily do 4 miles in 40 minutes on the elliptical machine, but when I run on the track, or walking trail, it kills me. As of monday when I weighed myself, I was 213 pounds. Also, I'm a 24 year old female.

Best Answer

here is a training program:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

since you are having trouble, i would say start with alternating 15 seconds of jogging with 30 seconds of walking. if this takes too much concentration, try 30 seconds of jogging with 60 seconds of rest. i just recommend the first if possible, because you will be able to go longer with shorter repetitions, even though you are walking twice as much time in both.

Dan, id say your great bet to begin with would be underneath twenty and convey it down steadily as you be trained how you can run the gap, i shall be racing the 5000m this yr competitively and am hoping for a time of round 15.50, this time must be good adequate to earn a medal at the irish provincials. As for when to start sprinting as you conclude ( i think that's what you imply) it'll be reasonably rough to sprint for longer than 30 seconds, esp if u havehad a regular rhythm for probably the most part. Quite often lengthy distance runners will steadily run it out of there rivals over the 5k, and not want/be capable to dash it in home to the line, unlike an 800m

• anurag

dan, identity say your pleasant wager to begin with might be underneath twenty and convey it down progressively as you study methods to run the gap, i will be able to be racing the 5000m this yr competitively and am hoping for a time of round 15.50, this time must be well sufficient to earn a medal on the irish provincials. As for whilst to begin sprinting as you conclude ( i feel that's what you imply) it's going to be moderately difficult to dash for longer than 30 seconds, esp if u havehad a consistent rhythm for probably the most facet. mostly lengthy distance runners will progressively run it out of there rivals over the 5k, and now not want/be in a position to dash it in dwelling to the road, in contrast to an 800m

I just wanted to share an article I did on people trying to get back into running after a long time off. http://eninjatraining.blogspot.com/2008/02/go-for-...

http://eninjatraining.blogspot.com/

Also, check out runnersworld.com....great info on how to prepare for 5ks and marathons. Also good running advice and forums for you to ask questions.