Banker
Banker asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What are advantages of AKC dog registry as compared to ACA or UABR?

We are considering a new puppy. The breeder suggests UABR. I'm only familiar with AKC.

Should I decide to show this sweet little girl in a few months, will the AKC accept UABR registration or will she be disqualified? Please give your opinion, with resources if you can, to help me make the best choice.

Best Answer

AKC is a REAL registry.

ACA and UABR are scam registries. Only back yard breeders and millers use registries like these. Their poor-quality dogs are ineligible for AKC registration, so they register with places like that. All you have to do is pay a registration fee and they send "papers". There's no guarantees that the dog you are getting is purebred, there may be little or no pedigree to track.

Although AKC is not a guarantee of quality, they are stricter on their registration policies. You know you are getting a purebred, and you have the ability to research the pedigree back many generations.

If you want to show, you need an AKC dog. I suggest you go to www.akc.org and get a breeder referral for the breed you are interested in. Seek a breeder who does show their dogs and does genetic health testing. Starting out with a quality dog from CH parents is the way to go if you want to show.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Should I decide to show this sweet little girl in a few months, will the AKC accept UABR registration or will she be disqualified? Please give your opinion, with resources if you can, to help me make the...

Source(s): advantages akc dog registry compared aca uabr: https://tr.im/WXQgd
  • Eva

Everyone has basically explained it but I'll add on. AKC and UKC are all breed registries that are a lot more reputable. They can and do verify fake registrations by DNA testing. People refuse DNA testing quite frequently (posted in their AKC Gazette magazine which names the people who refuse; posted in UKC's Bloodlines Magazine) thereby cancelling out their registrations and all litters as both require proof. Or they've supplied the DNA testing but found to have lied (sire was not right sire stated on litter registration etc) and their litters were cancelled out and stricken from their registration records. Accountability is what makes AKC and UKC more reputable. As people said they are just registries but compared to the other registries they usually have slightly higher quality dogs (but not always in every case). I've seen dogs I didn't even recognize as being their breed registered with AKC and UKC. Their parent's were poor examples of the breed but because their parent's were registered with AKC and UKC all the way back to 85 generations ago then that puppy is eligible for registry. ACA, Continental etc are registries that for the most part require only a picture of the dog or parent's and cash. Therefore forgeries are common as many responsible breeder's pictures of their dogs have been stolen and used to legitimize a mixed breed puppy as purebred. Therefore there is no guarantee that dog is actually purebred. He could be mixed but just so happens to look like one of the parents. Typically irresponsible breeders register their litters under these registries because they do not require any accountability. In short, their crappy registries. Caveat Emptor when it comes to any dog registered under these registries. Responsible and Irresponsible breeders (puppy mills and backyard breeders) will register with AKC and UKC. But you will never see a responsible breeder register with ACA, Continental etc. And that's really the difference.

The thing is AKC only accepts AKC registered dogs, so if you wanted to show your dog in AKC shows you'd have to have her registered with the American Kennel Club. I would suggest buying an AKC register-able dog and then registering her/him with the UABR if you'd like to show the dog in those kind of shows as well. You can register a dog in almost any other club as long as it's a purebred, only with AKC do you have to have proof, by paper, that the dog is purebred (I think) but don't take my word for it.

But I'd suggest just buying a puppy thats AKC and then registering it with the AKC and the UABR.

ACA and UBAR are pseudo registries mostly used by puppy mills and unscrupulous breeders. They are registries where AKC keeps records of pedigrees for generations. You cannot show a dog registered with UABR anywhere but pet doggy shows.

Showing the puppy is a minor reason to get an AKC pedigree. While AKC has very little enforcement power, members of AKC breed clubs tend to be more responsible and reliable. They are more likely to have their breeding stock health tested and be aware of breed related problems.

Source(s): personal experience

AKC is the only reputable registry in the U.S. A dog has to be AKC reg i n order to participate in AKC events.

UABR accepts "designer" dogs - that in itself is a big no-no to any reputable registry. No GOOD registry would allow mutts to be registered.

Go with AKC and if you want to do multiple registries then register with UKC or UABR if you want.

• deveja

Uabr

If you're going to show, there is nothing better than AKC- (Or Canadian KC)- and AKC will not accept other "scam" registries- I would look elsewhere- if the breeder "suggests" UABR, then I wonder why the breeder is not associated with AKC- makes me think that he/she has something to hide.

• Mary J

Looked good until I saw this

Can I register a litter produced by a mix of two different breeds?

Not in our regular Blue Ribbon Division. But, yes, we have a special division called the United Designer Dog Division for litters that are purposely bred from parents or ancestors of different breeds. The goal is to produce offspring with genetic diversity and desirable traits from both breeds. Both parents must be registered with United. The puppy applications will show up to 3 generations of pedigree and every dog in the pedigree will show the name of its breed as well.

If they register mutts than run from them now.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/jWSUF

AKC is the ***ONLY*** real registry in the US. Anything else is a FAKE,used by crooks who CAN'T use AKC!!!