wasnt mary about 14 when she became pregnant with jesus?

so...why exactly is it so taboo for teens to have babies in todays society? were the teens more mature 2000 years ago? was it due to life expectancy?

and if GOD really was jesus' father, what does that tell you about his trust in teens?

btw...i have a 14 year old daughter, and trust me, i am not looking to be a grandma anytime soon....i just am curious about this.

thanks

Favorite Answer

No one knows how old Mary was, the Bible does not say

Source(s): Candii

The Bible doesn't say how old Mary was. There's speculations and assumptions but no concrete proof. Some say Mary was 16 and Joseph was 18. I hate to say this but the maturity level of the young men and women of that time was much higher than it is now. They were brought up in the fear of the Lord and taught His Word and morality from a young age.

Jesus is the Son of God and when Jesus was 12 years old, He was in the synagogue teaching the Old Testament to the priest's. They marveled at His knowledge. So yes, the young people then were much more mature for their age than most teens are today. My teen years were very immature. I was kind of a joke actually but God has done a work in me and I thank Him daily for it.

I hear this a lot. There is absolutely no factual information about Mary's age, just that she was engaged, so she was of marriageable age. Trying to deduce a specific individual's age from some 'general custom' isn't very bright or accurate. Individuals are individuals. The bible encouraged waiting for some maturity before marriage (Song of Solomon 8:5-12; 1 Corinthians 7:36) And Mary's reply to Elizabeth showed she knew a lot about the Bible--just look it up in a Bible with footnotes and look at all her references (Luke 1:39-55). Evidence is she was no child. If someone says that she was, just ask them how would they prove that. And don't let them quote you some fancy-sounding forged book that isn't part of the Bible. Such forgeries became common during the time the Christian Scriptures were being compiled. The apostle Paul even referred to that (2 Thessalonians 2:1,2).

Best regards,

Mike

Yes actually it was due to life expectancy. People lived for a much much much shorter amount of time than they do today. The average person lived to be about 30 some or 40 some. So naturally they started making babies at a younger age or as soon as it was possible for the girl to have a child.

Also children matured way faster back then than they do now. they started working at a young age so they were ready for the responsibility of raising a baby at a young age.

• Dixie

Mary, at 14, was considered the proper age for marriage and child bearing. Since most people died in their 30's, they started a little younger than we did. I imagine they were more mature, they definitely had to work harder then than we do now.

I do imagine that God trusted teens.

I also have a 14 year old daughter, and I thank God that she gets to stay a child for several more years.

It did have to do with life expectancy. Also, I'd guess money would have played a role in it, too. Back then, if you were wealthy, you got servants and a big house. Today, you need money for everything. And since teens are confined to school for the first 20-ish years of their lives, there's not a ton of time for a nice-paying job.

And Ms. Lady, I could read at a 9th grade level when I was in 4th grade.

When you said were teens more mature 2000 years ago?

I would have to say yes to that,due to the fact during those times women had to be mature and had to accept alot of responsibilities that were on them.

• Lily

Yes, a girl of her time would have married/had children in their early teens. It had everything to do with having the most children within a life span(which was considerably shorter than todays).

And what do we call it when a non-child has sex with a child? I mean, don't we have prisons FULL of those kind of people?

Don't say it out loud or the YahooNazis will shut you down.

It's not just the practitioners of that religion, it's also your deity!

Didn't Cain go out of the Garden and marry his own sister?

Curious lot, you Xians.

EDIT: So because the times were different and they didn't know about being healthy, that made it okay to have sex with kids?

We expect more of adults today and hence it takes more time to train kids to be "good" (effective) adults. Once kids start to reproduce they pretty much stop learning and start providing for their offspring.