FW asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Why do women sound different in old movies?

Last night I was watching Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn and I noticed that all the actresses in that era talk differently than we do now. It was kind of breathy and high pitched. Were they talking that way on purpose or is that just the kind of accent they had back then? If you listen to Barbra Walters, she kind of sounds like that too, just with an older voice...Thoughts?

Favorite Answer

Back then, they wanted women to sound more feminine, and talking naturally just sounded too harsh and masculine.

Marilyn Monroe was the epitome of the high, breathy voice. Bette Davis was almost the polar opposite, perhaps only eclipsed by gravelly-voiced Katherine Hepburn.

Back in the 1930's - 1950's they had a lot of odd ideas about how women should sound and act in movies. They really liked women to act a little scatterbrained because it made them more endearing. However, just like trends come and go, a more natural style eventually prevailed.

OK . I am a 33 year old woman with 2 children also. Children take up alot of time and energy. My children now are 12 and 10. My marriage went through some rough times when they were small. My whole life was my children. They always needed something. I also had a job, so that left little time for romance. I worked from 6-2 and he worked from 3-11. So he was in bed when I left in the morinig and I was in bed when he came home. Things were very hard and very strange. The only thing that I can tell you is that as the children get older things should get easier. In the mean time make arangements for someone to keep the kids over night. Even if you just stay home. Try to make it a night to remember. My marriage now it almost back to the way it was before are children came. We are like young kids in love again. It is great.

Audy Hepburn was born in Belgium, her mother was Dutch and her father English. She and many other actresses of her era spoke in a more formal way than is the style now. Informal speech in film was invented by Howard Hawks in 'His Girl Friday' in 1940 and it took about 30 years to become the norm.

I think it's a combination of tonya & pach's answers. Audio visual equipment was not as advanced and could not record as well as we can today. They also dealt with the more feminine stereotypes back then so where asked to change their voices while on camera depending on the situation.

probably the different technology back then, or the different types of actresses in the day...Audrey Hepburn was French, I believe, and she had a lovely voice