Engg asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

Receiving letter of debt collection?

Hi Friends,

I have been receiving letters from diff. debt collection agencies. I never had these all debts in my life. i have reported some of them but since April 2007, law has been changed and now police can not report this issue as a crime and can not issue Crime Reference Number. I wrote back to collection agency, but they do not want to know this and forcing me to get Crime reference number. What the hell do i do now?? can i turn back and take them to court and make them to pay me compensation as i have got more than required proof that i am not the person they look for????? If police has changed law, how come they are not aware, why i can not find any informtion on internet???


4 Answers

  • Sara
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Have you checked your credit report? Someone could have stolen your identity, taken credit cards out in your name, and have debts all over town. https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

    Next, get LifeLock. http://www.lifelock.com/

    Next, check into the Fair Debt Collections Practice Act. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cr...


    You've got some work to do. Good luck!

  • 1 decade ago

    To be perfectly honest, you have to be in collection for a VERY long time before they will serve you papers for court.

    The first thind I would do is call the three credit bureaus and make sure that your identity hasn't been stolen! If it has, they have small claims lawyers that can do research and figure out whats going on. Also, have you checked your statements lately? I would get a copy of my credit report if I were you and make sure that everything is accurate.

  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    If the debts are not yours, this is a matter for the small claims court and NOT a police matter. Visit your local Citizens Advice Bureaux, they'll be able to help.

  • Ive never before n my life heard of wasting police time with referring letters to them , how silly

    if they want to take you to court, these companies have to prove you are who they want money from

    have you tried asking experian or another credit agency to make sure your credit hisotry has no errrors on it , this is yur best form of defence in this situation.

    Source(s): www.experian.co.uk
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.