Who thinks...?

a dog ownership course would be beneficial if linked to Home Education/Life Skills in the school system? I think a lot of the problem is that while kids may grow up around dogs, some do not grasp the concept of just what it takes to truly care for a dog. They have no idea the cost consideration or about breeding the dogs or not to breed the dogs. I know I learned about how to care for an infant and how to sew and how to make a pretzel. Honestly I've never made another pretzel in my life. Isn't that what Pretzelmaker's is for? LOL Your thoughts?

I agree. People should be licensed. When I became a foster parent for the shelter here, they didn't even do a check. I walked in one day and they were caring for a 2 week old pit mix puppy and I went gaga. They said they were getting ready to euthanize him because they just couldn't care for him anymore. I told them that I would take on the cost of getting him well and would bring him back once he was 10 weeks old so they could home him. They handed me him and his basket and said there you go. Good thing I knew what I was doing, but it was scary all the same.

More our kids could learn, like what? It's a life skill. It may even get more kids to pay attention to school work so they can actually become vets, or groomers, or vet techs, scientists, etc.

Sunshine I love that idea. How many teenagers or kids wouldn't love to get out of "class". And they think they're getting a break. LOL I was a recreation teacher and we would have the P.D. come in every summer and show the kids how to "train" a police K-9. It was so much fun and the kids really loved seeing the dogs in action. I also think it gives kids a chance to learn about them in a controlled environment so those who have never had one or are afraid of them can have a positive experience.

Yes because History of the South Pacific is so much more important.

Obviously someone needs to pay better attention in Science. Blood is blue. LOL

Last time I checked they do teach money management as a part of Economics and in Life Skills. It either A. doesn't work or B. people choose not to listen. Which category do you think George Bush falls under?

Not trying to curb pet ownership, but trying to inform and teach responsibilty for another life. I understand that not all people have common sense.

Sunshine. Well put. I was trying to figure out the Gun Safety too. Unfortunately I don't think Gun Safety has anything to do it. People who go itno the schools and shoot them up, don't exactly have "safety" on their minds.

Miaugh: I can attest to that. I taught preschool for a few years at a child care center and sometimes I'd fill in in the infant room, but it was the toddler room (2's and 3's) that were the worst.

Cayla22: They teach about drugs, STD, pregnancy and cooking all as a part of life skills and Home Ec. Each is covered over a week or so period. Why not throw in one about animal caring as well? It doesn't have to be a professional dog breeder or Vet teaching the course. Although I know a bunch tha would jump at the chance to spend an hour in a classroom lecturing about proper animal care.

I homeschool my kids. I've seen the current public school system and I think it's crap. Personally I believe it should be federally funded and overseen. Nto by some idiot superintedent that would rather golf than make proper judgement calls.

Jasmijo: I know blood is red. I was making fun of the other person who said it was blue inside before it was oxygenated. hence the LOL

If public schools actually provided a well rounded education rather than teaching kids how to pass a test, I'd enroll my children in public school. My son went to a public school for all of a semester, well actually 2 different schools during the semester, we had to move, and neither one of them was satisfactory.

• miaugh
    Best Answer

Yes, excellent idea! I was going to say, it should be a requirement to have proof of a basic dog care course in order to get your dog licensed (along the lines of driver education in school to get your license)-- but not every person licenses their dog,

Having a requirement in the school systems would be the best way.

Edit: Cougar--A pet care course or pet appreciation day class, would not just encompass caring for a pet. I think it would be enlightening with regard to morality, ethics, compassion and responsibility, most of which I don't see emphasized to any great extent in schools now.

Telewheels- agreed, ideally life skills would be taught by parents. However, we can see how well that works with the high rate of teenage pregnancy...And you would be relying on irresponsible parents in many cases who have absolutely no concept or very little experience themselves with pet care. ( IE-many questions in here" My dad said to just give the dog a big swat when he pees on the carpet!") You might not be able to change that dad's methods, but you might be able to influence the kid's view on ethical treatment of pets.

Add: Yeah, that egg-baby thing, my kids had to do it. I don't think a lot of kids get the impact of the analogy--it's still just an egg--nobody cries over a dropped egg on the sidewalk. A few days' requirement in the infant room at a daycare would be a more realistic representation of the true responsibility and at times frustration of infant/child care.

GSD: Yes, toddlers- I think that is the most exhausting stage for a parent.

Add: How about a field trip to a kill shelter ?(now THERE'S a fun idea!) How many people have a true picture of "put to sleep"?

Have them watch a gas chamber in use or a heartstick euthanasia.

I'll be in favor of licensing pet owners when parents have to be licensed to have children. So there's my view on owner licensing. .

I feel that many pet animal education programs now are very biased. The leaning toward the animal rights propaganda worries me greatly. The people who teach classes such as these cannot just teach the class without great emotion and bias. IE don't breed; don't buy from a breeder; there ought to be a laws' etc. This in turn hurts all animal owners.

My other feeling is that schools need to spend more time getting these kids ready to go out into the real world. This means that teaching and really teaching things like spelling, grammar, reading, following instructions, arithmetic (without and with a calculator), math reasoning, science, social studies, and the like. Life skills are helpful but I don't think that pet ownership should be a part of it unless auto mechanics and home maintenance classes are also included. Not to mention that there are many people who are allergic to animals and accommodation will have to made for them. While pets teach empathy and responsibility, I feel that those things really need to be taught at home. Now offering classes in career choice, resume' writing, interview presentation would be good for all students.

I don't have a high appreciation of "life skills" courses taught in school - of course, that might just be my bias of two mandatory years of "Home Ec" where the only thing we learned was how to launder the teachers own clothing.

Most of the questions I see on here that I find annoying/frustrating/scary can be classified into two groups

1. Those from people who honestly didn't know any better, and are here asking questions and willing to learn. I fit into this group on questions about good dog food. Before hanging out here, I really had no idea about the major diferences in the quality of different dog foods, and how that can affect the health of the dog.

2. Those who have not, and probably never will, realized that dogs (and cats, amd horses, etc.) are living entities entrusted to us. Yes, our domestic animals are used for many purposes, including food (I'm thinking cows and pigs here, not cats and dogs!), but we still have a responsibility to them. A lot of people don't get this. To them, a dogs is the same as a purse, or a gun, or whatever. They are an accessory, or something to prove the owner has balls, and all the school courses in the world won't change this. These are the people who tell us they have a *right* to breed their whatever, and nobody is telling them different.

I don't know how to change this. I think respect for living things must be instilled in a child by the parents/caregivers, not taught in school.

But what do i know :-). Have good day, and thanks for asking a great question.

I'm with Cayla on this one. I agree that proper pet education is something many kids lack, but I think our school system is in such a state of disarray right now, we have bigger problems to worry about. We are ranked very low as a country in almost EVERY major subject (math, science, etc). My best friend is a middle school literature teacher and is surprised that some of the students reading skills aren't anywhere NEAR as high as they should be based on their grade level.

I do agree that there are some topics I would prefer are modified, and I also agree that there is more to pet care than throwing some kibble out occasionally (as mentioned by another answer). Kids should be taught by their parents how to properly approach an unfamiliar dog, how to recognize aggressive behavior (not just playing) and other more advanced pet care techniques (i.e. proper grooming, basic training).

I really like how Cayla mentioned she has incorporated this into the class she teaches, as a treat, so even with the reward the kids are still learning! I love having canine members of the family and am infuriated by animal injustice, but I am afraid being a future professor/scientist, I am more concerned that our children be taught the basic skills needed to survive and maybe even go to college.

UPDATE: when I was in elementary, we had class pets, and all took turns looking after and caring for the pet. Each year we learned about that classroom's pet too, so it was educational as well as a treat. I've also heard of classrooms adopting shelter animals as part of their community out-reach programs, maybe this could become more of a standard. A local class room even did a day trip to the animal shelter to visit the animals they are helping (instead of spending the money on a pizza party each semester).

I also agree w/ Kip.

Schools are more concerned with teaching children about drug, birth and std prevention.... not to mention math, science, social studies, languages, art, cooking, gym and so on.... The funding is not there. We barely have enough teachers to run schools properly now.

I work at a YMCA as a 1st grade head of group. I bring my dog in every month as a treat for the children. Most of them already have the basics down on how to treat and care for a dog. In fact many parents in my group have bought puppies this yr because its a great way to teach children about responsibility. If your a dog person you'll know it. You'll naturally learn how to care for a dog. You either got it or you don't!

I think it is an unrealistic idea. I doubt any school's budget could be stretched to afford a Pet/Dog Care course. And people have differing, and yet valid, ideas about how to care for their animals. There is definitely a wrong way, but there are many right ways. Even if there were a course, I doubt the impact it would have. There are courses now about safe sex and parenting, but folks are still getting knocked up and there are still bad parents.

In addition, blood is not blue. It is either bright red (with oxygen) or dark red (without oxygen). Skin pigments and blood vessel coverings make the blood look blue when looking at vessels through the skin.

LOL "cougar"... more important things like how to make a pretzel?

GSD I totally agree with you. If not part of an actual course, it wouldn't hurt to have the schools do a "pet appreciation week" where the SPCA and other people can come in and talk about pet ownership, repsonsibilities, etc.

Add: "fetchdog".... GUN SAFETY? Maybe I'm totally out of touch with the reality down south, being from Canada and all.... but gun safety? A whole course? Where I'm from, you need to take a course before you can *own* a gun. I'd say that's enough. No reason to teach people who don't ever *want* to touch a gun, how to use one.

The difference between human and animals that we have a "thinking mind" ... We human use our minds to do many things in our daily life... by thinking we do things better... While animals got minds .. but they don't use it. Thinking process is different .. due to the situation you are keep in. For some how reasons.. sometimes you don't think properly that's because of the hard situation you are in. The more we think.. the good we results we achieve.

I think kids would really love it. AND it would cut down on shelter numbers I bet you. If I ever became a high school teacher I would add that in for sure! and they would all take a trip to the pound to volunteer for a little.

I think kids in other grades would be looking forward to that part of the class all year. Good idea!

• Mikey

That's the problem with school today ... there is no need to make pretzels or learn about dog ownership ... or a myriad of other "social" and "life skill topics". Last I checked, teaching life skills and social attitude was a parent's job.

I understand your post, but I don't see the need to have dog breeding and budgeting for pets taught in school.