Who thinks...?

a dog ownership course would be beneficial if linked to Home Education/Life Skills in the school system? I think a lot of the problem is that while kids may grow up around dogs, some do not grasp the concept of just what it takes to truly care for a dog. They have no idea the cost consideration or about breeding... show more a dog ownership course would be beneficial if linked to Home Education/Life Skills in the school system? I think a lot of the problem is that while kids may grow up around dogs, some do not grasp the concept of just what it takes to truly care for a dog. They have no idea the cost consideration or about breeding the dogs or not to breed the dogs. I know I learned about how to care for an infant and how to sew and how to make a pretzel. Honestly I've never made another pretzel in my life. Isn't that what Pretzelmaker's is for? LOL Your thoughts?
Update: I agree. People should be licensed. When I became a foster parent for the shelter here, they didn't even do a check. I walked in one day and they were caring for a 2 week old pit mix puppy and I went gaga. They said they were getting ready to euthanize him because they just couldn't care for him... show more I agree. People should be licensed. When I became a foster parent for the shelter here, they didn't even do a check. I walked in one day and they were caring for a 2 week old pit mix puppy and I went gaga. They said they were getting ready to euthanize him because they just couldn't care for him anymore. I told them that I would take on the cost of getting him well and would bring him back once he was 10 weeks old so they could home him. They handed me him and his basket and said there you go. Good thing I knew what I was doing, but it was scary all the same.
Update 2: More our kids could learn, like what? It's a life skill. It may even get more kids to pay attention to school work so they can actually become vets, or groomers, or vet techs, scientists, etc.
Update 3: Sunshine I love that idea. How many teenagers or kids wouldn't love to get out of "class". And they think they're getting a break. LOL I was a recreation teacher and we would have the P.D. come in every summer and show the kids how to "train" a police K-9. It was so much fun and the... show more Sunshine I love that idea. How many teenagers or kids wouldn't love to get out of "class". And they think they're getting a break. LOL I was a recreation teacher and we would have the P.D. come in every summer and show the kids how to "train" a police K-9. It was so much fun and the kids really loved seeing the dogs in action. I also think it gives kids a chance to learn about them in a controlled environment so those who have never had one or are afraid of them can have a positive experience.
Update 4: Yes because History of the South Pacific is so much more important.
Update 5: Obviously someone needs to pay better attention in Science. Blood is blue. LOL
Update 6: Last time I checked they do teach money management as a part of Economics and in Life Skills. It either A. doesn't work or B. people choose not to listen. Which category do you think George Bush falls under?
Update 7: Not trying to curb pet ownership, but trying to inform and teach responsibilty for another life. I understand that not all people have common sense.
Update 8: Sunshine. Well put. I was trying to figure out the Gun Safety too. Unfortunately I don't think Gun Safety has anything to do it. People who go itno the schools and shoot them up, don't exactly have "safety" on their minds.
Update 9: Miaugh: I can attest to that. I taught preschool for a few years at a child care center and sometimes I'd fill in in the infant room, but it was the toddler room (2's and 3's) that were the worst.
Update 10: Cayla22: They teach about drugs, STD, pregnancy and cooking all as a part of life skills and Home Ec. Each is covered over a week or so period. Why not throw in one about animal caring as well? It doesn't have to be a professional dog breeder or Vet teaching the course. Although I know a bunch tha would... show more Cayla22: They teach about drugs, STD, pregnancy and cooking all as a part of life skills and Home Ec. Each is covered over a week or so period. Why not throw in one about animal caring as well? It doesn't have to be a professional dog breeder or Vet teaching the course. Although I know a bunch tha would jump at the chance to spend an hour in a classroom lecturing about proper animal care.
Update 11: I homeschool my kids. I've seen the current public school system and I think it's crap. Personally I believe it should be federally funded and overseen. Nto by some idiot superintedent that would rather golf than make proper judgement calls.
Update 12: Jasmijo: I know blood is red. I was making fun of the other person who said it was blue inside before it was oxygenated. hence the LOL
Update 13: If public schools actually provided a well rounded education rather than teaching kids how to pass a test, I'd enroll my children in public school. My son went to a public school for all of a semester, well actually 2 different schools during the semester, we had to move, and neither one of them was satisfactory.