Sustaining pedal on piano - Do you ever heard about something namely half/partial-pedalling?(sustai... pedal)

Hmm, I had just asked a question on stacatto stuff...( On Piano) Now the problem is : is the sustaining pedal just a matter of hold it,or not? Is there no intermediet usefulness? What I mean is, other than 2 choices : hold down the pedal or not, there is something call half-pedal,which means you can depend on... show more Hmm, I had just asked a question on stacatto stuff...( On Piano)

Now the problem is : is the sustaining pedal just a matter of hold it,or not? Is there no intermediet usefulness?

What I mean is, other than 2 choices : hold down the pedal or not, there is something call half-pedal,which means you can depend on your degree of pedalling to play out a music half-sustained. Maybe you step 50%, or you want it to be seperated,but RETAINED A VERY SMALL PORTION OF LEGATO EFFECT( it sounds stupid and contradict I know),then you press the sustaining pedal like 20% - 40%,then it will create such an effect.

Please help me!!!

PS: I self-learn piano(too poor),thats why I can ask but in YA! here,so you guys need to help me,otherwise I will be doomed.