Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesVolvo · 1 decade ago

Are volvos considered a "rich" persons car?

im turing 16 and my parents want to get me a volvo bc they are very safe and reliable. But i want to know if they are considered a "rich" car, meaning a car that only peopl with money have, im already considered to be really spoiled and rich and i dont want to look like a stuck up kid with an expesive car.

No sepcific volvo, just the brand i get to pick which one i want.

Thank You!

I dont care if the car is expensive i just dont want to look stuck up. And if it is and expesive car i wouldnt want my parents to spend alot of money on my first car, I dont act spoiled or anything, so dont get the wrong imperesion

In my neighborhood its kinda a lower class car. but at school some people cant even afford a honda. I want a escalade ext, and my dad wants to get me it, i fell in love with the new lexus and my dad is thinking about it, for me the price doesnt matter is can be a 10,000 dollar car for all i care i just want a cute car, yes my family has money so we can afford it, but all i want is not to look spolied, so no rude comments please

Favorite Answer

Hey,

when I was 17 I bought a Volvo to drive to school. So , no I dont think it is a rich persons car, not in the sense that you are saying. It is a very safe and reliable vehicle , and honestly one of my best friends bought her daughter a Volvo to drive to school. it was 240 wagon - totally an old hippie car. so who is to say that you have to get one that is a newer style - go for the 240, 740, 940 styles and trust me you will blend right in. And you wont spend a lot for it. Stay away from the turbos in these cars - they aways leak and that means money for repairs. IF you want to go stuck up 850, S90, S70, S40, S60, S80, V70, XC70, XC90.

Oh and never ever by the first year of that model in production, it has not gotten all the kinks out of it.

Hope this helps - if you have any other questions please ask.

Source(s): Volvo owner since 1992 - graduated high school in 1994.

Volvos have a reputation for safety and quality. They were traditionally considered very conservative, almost stodgy cars. Volvo occupies the mid-point between economy and true luxury, so it is not a "status symbol" like a BMW or Mercedes.

You should be fine with a Volvo. And you're probably going to need all that sheet metal while in the early stages of your driving career.

Volvos aren't RICH peoples cars in general but they are great cars. Would you rather drive a Volvo or have your parents only be able to afford a Geo?? eheh, as long as you are not a stuck up person than it won't matter. They are pretty good looking cars nowadays too. Be Happy with their decision, they want the best for you.

You are very lucky that your parents want you to drive a safe good car. Are they a rich persons car - define rich? There are many people who cannot afford a car at all and a 1979 Rabbit with 456,000 miles would be a rich person's car. Get over the money and be respectful.

While not "cheap", Volvos more imply "safe" and "conservative". This might be the way your parents would think of you as opposed to "wild" and "dangerous" . What others think or say depends more on you than your car. P.S. Look at the Volvo C70.

volvo's while expensive are not just for the well to do, if getting somewhere reliably is more important to you than a fashion statement these cars do the job, and they are fun to drive.

if you take proper care of it it will last you for as long as you wish to drive.

if you wish to make a social statement about yourself , the terms value, reliability,and modesty come to mind

good luck with whatever you wind up getting and always wear your seatbelt

• Chad D

Volvos are "upmarket" they are nicer than "regular" cars like your Hondas and Toyotas but not at the Lexus and Mercedes level.

No, not really. I don't think you'll look stuck up. But, it does matter which neighborhood. In mine, it would be considered average.

no i wouldnt say it is but if you want a rich person's car you have choices like a porche, lamborghini, rolls royce and more