Wiccans, do we think stones have minds of their own?

Apparently we do, according to the email I just received.

Where do people come up with these things? Roffle.

I'm off to the concrete factory to protest the inhumane treatment of rocks. brb.

That was the whole claim: " how about the fact that wiccan (sic) spells rely on the idea that an

inatimate (sic)object, i.e. a stone has a mind of its own? "

I'm still trying to figure out what makes a spell Wiccan. Spells have religions?

Of course stones have energy: hello. Photoelectric effect? U-235? Radium?

Best Answer

Well, we can't eat animals, because they have souls, and we can't eat plants because they have souls, now I'll have to trim down on the sandstone, marble and obsidian diet I've been on.

Stones themselves do not have minds, however that does not mean that some are not homes to spirits or other seen forces/beings, this is a common belief in Iceland to the extent that the state takes it very seriously.

From the New York Times:

"If there was a large stone in the garden, and somebody said to an Icelander, 'That's an elf stone,' would they blow it up? They wouldn't," said Terry Gunnell, head of the folkloristic department at the University of Iceland in Reykjavik.

"It's not like they think there are little people living in there who come and dance outside," he added. "It's more a sense that there are other powers, other forces around them."

This town, a port on the outskirts of Reykjavik, prides itself on its unusually high elf population. Tourists are invited to tour the known elf locations, including a large rock whose reputation as an elf habitat meant that a nearby road was diverted some years ago so as not to disturb its unseen residents.

Elly Erlingsdottir, head of the town council's planning committee, said that made sense to her. Recently, she said, some elves borrowed her kitchen scissors, only to return them a week later to a place she had repeatedly searched. "My philosophy is, you don't have to see everything you believe in," she said, "because many of your greatest experiences happen with closed eyes."

Recently, the planning committee considered a resident's application to build a garage. "One member said, 'I hope it's O.K. with the elves,' " Ms. Erlingsdottir related. Should the council determine that it is, in fact, not O.K. - usually this happens when a local mystic hears from the elf population, directly or through a vision - the town would consider moving the project, or getting the mystic to ask the elves to move away, she said.

Such occurrences are not unusual. In nearby Kopavogur, a section of Elfhill Road was narrowed from two lanes to one in the 1970's, when repeated efforts to destroy a large rock that was believed to house elves were thwarted by equipment breakdowns. The rock is still there, jutting awkwardly into the road, but it is unclear whether the tenants are.

"With the artificial lampposts, there's too much light for them, and there's also too much noise," explained Gurdrun Bjarnadottir, who has lived across the street for some 30 years. "A lot of people believe they still live there, but I think they've moved."

Source(s): Recon Norse Heathen
  • Aravah

** blinks ** Uh.... okay, my mind shut down on that one.

Perhaps they've been reading about the earth spirits that don't like their favorite trees or rocks torn down or moved? In other words, disrupting the energies.

I have to agree with some of the others - the person who sent you that is either seriously misinformed or a nitwit and most likely both.

• Gina

I've heard stupid people say stupid things like that before. These are usually the same people that follow an antiquated book about one so-called "perfect" deity and a hot place where the bad people go! hahaha!

Mimds!?!?! NO! Spirtts & energy. yes. At least according to my Amerindian roots. (Spitit = energy & reason for being).

Some people have lost all their marbles and are left with rocks in their heads!

BB

)O(

a mind ... no

an energy ... yes

not wiccan though sorry ... but wanted to reply because your roffling is cute

• xx.

... wow. That's even stranger than the time some random person emailed to inform me that I worshiped statues.

energy of their own, yes. Minds? not so much, but who really knows unless you're made of stone

Well that does explain a few things. I wondered how my husband could think.

*I'm irked with him at them moment*

Only the one that flew out of my hand and smacked my ex-husband in the side of his fat head.

*I swear, I had nothing to do with it!