berner mom asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

In regards to my earlier question, Dog fight tonight..advice again please?

Here is my original question

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnF_t...

The GSD owner was not in class last night and it bothered me. I sent her an email, telling her we missed her, asked if everything was OK..

She emailed me back said everything was fine but she said..

''I've been trying to think of why Kane started behaving the way he did, which has happened one time before. It all started in conjunction with a loose dog on my street who has basically pushed our morning and evening walks to be shorter because I don't feel safe walking past his house. Maybe you can help me brainstorm on what to do. This dog acts very aggressive (although it's a Golden lol) and comes out barking and growling to circle us and nip at Kane. I'm quite sure that Kane feels my anguish and reacts accordingly. I just don't know how to stop it.''

Any suggestions for her?

A star please so I can get lots of suggestions! Thanks

ADD

She feels her GSD is being aggressive. I feel her dog is reacting to some rude dogs he has come across.

She wants some advice on how to keep her GSD from being so reactive to these dogs...

ADD

Cindy

''I don't think it's up to her to train her dog NOT to react when another dog charges. That's silly. The charging dog could bite her and her GSD just stands there? No way.'''

Thank You...I feel the same way. The GSD is reacting to a rude dog and protecting her. That is what GSD's DO...

ADD

Lioness..

YOU go girl!!! I understand your avatar name:)

• Cindy
    Favorite Answer

First of all the GSD wasn't at fault in the first incident, the doodle was.

In this case, I'd go up to the house without the dog and tell the owners their dog is aggressive toward her when walking. They need to contain their dog.

Then I'd walk my dog.... IF the golden does the same thing, I'd contact animal control and or the police. That's inexcusible behavior.

I don't think it's up to her to train her dog NOT to react when another dog charges. That's silly. The charging dog could bite her and her GSD just stands there? No way.

I'd also tell her to alter her walking pattern for a bit.

I hate it when people don't contain their dogs. It's so unfair to the rest of us who then second guess how to handle the situation....

There are several things that she might be able to do.

1st report the dog to animal control. If the dog is not on a leash when leaving it's yard it is breaking the leash law. 2nd go get some dog repellant (mace) give the dog a squirt before he gets too close to you and your dog. You can also try a shake can (empty soda can with a few pennies inside and taped shut) You shake the can loudly when the dog starts to come near, startling it and hopefully keeping it from coming near.

Maybe walk in a different route until the situation is resolved.

Talk to the owners of the dog, let them know what is going on, that it breaks the leash law, and that the dog will be reported if not kept in it's yard.

Good luck with this, and for information... Just because it's a Golden doesn't mean it can't or isn't dangerous. Goldens have been known to be aggressive and biters when not trained properly.

Same sex pairings often do not work out, and when two females decide they do not get along that is that. I am assuming Dixie is also female? I used to keep a large number of dogs in the house back in the 80's-13. 12 big dogs one little dogs. All was great until that 13th dog hit maturity and decided she hated the Siberian that was her same age. She would attack the Siberian which would then throw many others in my pack into a fight. I was able to maintain order in the house, but I had to section off my backyard and put the dogs into groups. Currently of my three older dogs I have two females that hate each other, always have. Those dogs have seperate yards. I would sure keep the Papillon out of the mix. When I had that group of 13 my little dog who was minding his own business got jumped and had one his jugulars punctured. That was an exciting ride to the emergency vet. He did survive. Since the Doberman is a new addition- if making seperate yards is not an option perhaps sending her back to the people you got her from would be the best thing.

I agree w/ Golden and Lioness. This was not the GSDs fault but the owners need to be held accountable for their pets. I have no doubt that if my (well trained) GSD thought I was in danger, he would protect me in the same manner you mentioned. I'm lucky the only time we have encountered something of this nature, I was able to keep him under control until the other persons dog was restrained (poorly I might add).

She does need to be careful about her pet biting another dog (especially if it's the pet of an irresponsible owner). Where I used to live in Arkansas, if a dog bites it is put down (by law), no matter the "fault." This isn't the case in PA, but I would never take the risk.

I must say that i agree with Lioness! No other dogs should be loose to terrorize anyone walking on a public road!

Golden or not!

I would have done the same thing she did!

Your friends needs to speak to this person and quite frankly let them have it. Especially if there are leash laws in her town. A dog protecting its property is one thing but when the dog steps off that property then it is becomes a Biting hazard!

I had people like this who had a miniature poodle. God that dog was a nasty little butt muncher! I finally had it one day and just yelled at the owners! They quickly came and got the dog! Never saw the dog out unrestrained again.

Tell her has got to speak up if that doesnt work then a call to her local animal control just might!

'

Hope this helps.

My parents live a few houses down from a pair of Goldens who were constantly loose. Every time my dad and I would go for a walk with my dog they come charging at us. Fortunately, I've been able to talk my dog down and nothing serious has ever happened. Finally, one day, they came running and I had enough. My dad held my dog and I grabbed the dogs by the collar (which is not what I would necessarily recommend in all cases) and dragged them up the driveway to the house. I pounded on the door and when the lady answered I let her have it.

#1 - if I EVER see your dogs off of their property and off leash, I am calling the police.

#2 - If you dogs EVER charge me and my dog on the street again they are going to get a face full of mace and it will be reported to the police

#3 - it is absolutely unacceptable for you to allow your dogs to be loose, and I will not tolerate it

#4 - my parents have been literally chased off of their own deck and into their house because your dogs have come over onto their property and they are afraid of them - this is unacceptable and I have instructed my mother to call the police if it EVER happens again

I might have thrown a few other things in there out of anger, but that was the jist of it.

I have never had a problem with the dogs since.

Some people just think that they have a right to let their dogs do whatever they want and that everybody else is fine with it. All they need is for somebody to make it clear that it will not be tolerated. Certainly this is not always the case, but that's why I still carry the dog mace - I was dead serious in what i told her and I will not hesitate to back it up.

In this case, I think the lady just assumed that because she thought her dogs were great, everybody did. The problem is that they are very vocal dogs and my mom was terrified of them. I think the woman was honestly shocked when I told her that my parents felt threatened by them and that I took the problem very seriously.

Source(s): As for your previous question, I agree that the GSD was in no way at fault. At the club I train at it is made very clear that allowing your dog to get in the face of another dog is strictly not permitted. You should not even be letting your dog sniff other dogs without permission. There are a huge array of different circumstances that would create a problem, and obviously, this is one of them. (of course, accidents happen but I like that they make it clear for those who don't really "get it") I have to be careful with my GSD because now that he's getting older he feels the need to "correct" the wild, jumpy behavior of younger dogs.

Its one thing for her to distraction-proof her dog around other dogs *attended/restrained* by their owners. But its a whole different story when a dog starts circling them, unrestrained.

She needs to contact animal and report the dog, first and foremost. Hopefully a fine/warning for the owners will encourage them to keep the dog in the house, or otherwise contained in a fenced-in yard. Until that issue is out of the way, it would be a good idea to go walking on a different route.

Some good practice for her and her dog (although it might mean driving) would be walking *around* dog parks (outside of the fence perimiter), practicing some obedience commands and focusing the dog's attention on *her*, and the task at hand (heeling, or whatever other commands she gives intermittently).

But it still holds true that her dog was not in the *wrong*, in how he reacted to the Poodle.

Edit: I said Poodle. How silly. I meant to say "oodle".

The only suggestion is that she get a hold of the authorities or at least the owners of any loose dogs in the neighborhood I’m sure that is illegal pretty much everywhere. If dogs usually stays in their yard and then come running out when someone or dog walks buy that is still wrong and irresponsible of their owners.

like report the dog?

• i think u should report the dog