Entry Level Road Bike?

I am looking at trying to get an entry level road bike that I can grow into the sport with. I am trying to find a bike around the $500 range that I am not going to have to replace in the near future. Additionally, I live near lots of hills and been told to look for a bike with Shimano shifters. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good bike?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1 - Understand the most important things on a new road bike are

-1 Fit - 2 Frame material - 3 components - in that order.

For $500 bucks you can get an entry level bike that can take you many miles.

Don't forget to budget or plan for things that may not come with the bike - Water bottles and cages, helmet, cycling clithes, cyclo computer & pedal/shoes.

1 -Check out the following sites for info

http://www.rei.com/learn/Cycling?cm_re=toc*toc*exp...

http://www.rei.com/LearnShareDetailArticlesList?ca...

& this article specifically

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-3-12-15...

2 - Check out some bikes online

www.bikesdirect.com - online only some shops in TX.

www.performancebike.com -they have local shops in some cities

www.rei.com - local and online shop.

3- Then go to a couple local bike only shops - pick one you like the best (and who can really fit you to the bike) and take their reccomendation if they have a bike you like. If all they do when fittign you to the bike is have you stand over it, then go to a different shop. THey should put it on a trainer and have you pedal....and spend some time with you.

Or buy online if you feel comfortable putting it together....and fitting yourself.

For Frame material - Aluminum or steel will be your choice. Maybe a CF fork - but Carbon Fiber frame or CF seat stays will be more than $500. Steell will feel smoother....MErcier from www.bikesdirect are steel & Jamis makes steel bikes too & I think performance bike has some steel ones too. Aluminum just feels rough but this can be a personal choice.

Frame geometries will be different....aggresive for racing...or compact frame for a more relaxed riding (sloped top tube) - this will come down to personal preference too.

Components - Look for Tiagra at a minimum (not SORA), 105 if you can get them. Don;t be afraid to spend just a buit more....the difference in a 500 and 600 bike can be big.

Or you can consider used - call bike shops in your area to see who sells used. Or take a chance on ebay - study fit first. An 5-8 yr old bike for 300-400 bucks one EBAY would be a good starting place and would be better than a 500 bke now. That;s what I did I got a $900 bike for just over 300 used still riding it 2yrs later - no plans to change. BUt you have to study up on fit to fit yourself - not that hard.

When you get your bike - here's some basic info in Skills for a beginner.

http://www.rei.com/LearnShareDetailArticlesList?st...

ANd join a local bike club to ride with too they will keep you in the sport.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It is always best to visit a couple of local bike shops.

Raleigh, Diamondback, Schwinn, and KHS all have fairly nice entry level road bikes BUT you are going to want to go to a bike shop to investigate. If you choose to buy online you may want to consider looking at http://rscycle.com and see if you can find a previous years model for a good deal... their Tommaso stuff is pretty nice.

If I had to have an entry level road bike for as long as 5 years I'd probably lean toward KHS only because they have a better selection than the others.

I WILL recommend that you stay away from Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale since they don't represent much of a value in your price range.

Since Shimano has many different grades of parts it will be important to look at the model of components. Ideally (but unlikely) you should look for Shimano 105. More realistically, Shimano Tiagra (next best) or Sora (minimum) are acceptable.

Source(s): 28 years in the industry
  • 1 decade ago

Stay away from the big box stores. They sell cheap bikes that are heavy, don't work very well, and won't last very long.

To make your $500 go as far as possible, go to your local bike shops and ask if they have any bikes left over from last year's models. They usually discount those bikes pretty deeply to move them out of the store.

The people at your local bike shop are your most valuable resource. Tell them where and how you want to ride. They are qualified to match you up with the best bike that fits your budget. They are also qualified to fit you to the proper size bike and then fine-tune it to you. A bike that fits properly is a pleasure and a joy to ride. A bike that fits poorly is torture.

After you've visited the first bike shop, go to others in your area. Test ride as many bikes as you can. One bike will just fit you and feel better than the others. Buy that bike. It is the one you will enjoy and ride the most. The business is very competitive. Any two bikes at the same price

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

A flat bar road bike, also called a fitness bike is a relatively new style of bicycle. It is simply a road bike fitted with MTB-style shifters, brake levers and a flat handlebar.This combination provides a light, fast bike with a more upright and neutral riding position. A flat bar road bike is most commonly used for commuting, urban and fitness riding. The bicycle is a land vehicle propelled by muscle power of the legs. During its motion, it is subject to different forces, which depend on external conditions and opposing the movement. These are the rolling resistance, the component of the weight force and air resistance. The first depends on many factors acting on the road-wheel. The second, as is known, depends on the slope of the road, as well as by the weight of the bike and rider. Finally, the third depends mainly on the “form” of the frame and the position assumed by the rider, as well as by the speed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

go to the local bike shop and ask. someone just getting started needs help with things like what size to buy, and they usually dont have the techinical know how to put a bike together off of a web site. to me the name brand doesnt matter. a few basics i would look for are quick release hubs, so you can service flats without carrying wrenches, and alloy rims. really cheap bikes have steel rims sometimes and you dont want that.

• 1 decade ago

Quick and simple, I recommend ebay, therefore if you find your not too fond of the sport you can throw it away like trash. + you can find high end bikes sold at low end prices, just ignore the scratches and maybe blood stains...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.