Catholics: Do you think that God influences the Cardinals when they select a new Pope?

Someone suggested that might be the case in another post. If that's the case, why do you think God selected so many bad Popes? (This isn't a slam against Catholicism, it's a question I've posed to my father, who says that there haven't been any bad Popes. I disagree--there have been Popes... show more Someone suggested that might be the case in another post. If that's the case, why do you think God selected so many bad Popes? (This isn't a slam against Catholicism, it's a question I've posed to my father, who says that there haven't been any bad Popes. I disagree--there have been Popes that have seriously harmed Catholicism and Popes who didn't live lives appropriate for that of a priest. Seems to me that it's an odd thing for God to do.) By the way, I'm not Catholic, nor am I a believer, but I'm not asking this question to debunk, I'm really curious. So I hope you won't get angry about this question.