Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Catholics: Do you think that God influences the Cardinals when they select a new Pope?

Someone suggested that might be the case in another post. If that's the case, why do you think God selected so many bad Popes? (This isn't a slam against Catholicism, it's a question I've posed to my father, who says that there haven't been any bad Popes. I disagree--there have been Popes that have seriously harmed Catholicism and Popes who didn't live lives appropriate for that of a priest. Seems to me that it's an odd thing for God to do.) By the way, I'm not Catholic, nor am I a believer, but I'm not asking this question to debunk, I'm really curious. So I hope you won't get angry about this question.

Favorite Answer

Do we believe that God influenced the writers of the Bible? Yes.

Do we believe that God influenced the Apostles and early Church? Yes.

Do we believe that God influenced the Apostles (the bishops) and the Church throughout all of history? Yes.

Do we believe that God influences the Apostles (the bishops) and Church of today? Yes.

Do we believe that a few may have rejected God's influence and followed their will instead of God's? Probably, but even then God can use people's rebellion in His plan of salvation. Remember the Pharaoh in Egypt?

Jesus Christ, God the Son, himself selected Judas Iscariot and Simon Peter as Apostles. Judas betrayed Jesus and committed suicide. Peter denied Jesus three times and went on to become the first Pope.

The logic of why God does some of these things may elude our puny human brains with our limited knowledge of the universe but we trust that God does know what He (or She) is doing.

With love in Christ.

• Daver

<<Catholics: Do you think that God influences the Cardinals when they select a new Pope?>>

Absolutely yes. The selection of a Pope is an Infallible decision of the College of Cardinals. The infallibility of such a decision would be impossible if not for the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

<<Someone suggested that might be the case in another post. If that's the case, why do you think God selected so many bad Popes?>>

Bad popes such as? You have to give examples because there are plenty of misguided who think the likes of Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI were/are bad popes - but they are not, if I may say so.

<<(This isn't a slam against Catholicism, it's a question I've posed to my father, who says that there haven't been any bad Popes. I disagree--there have been Popes that have seriously harmed Catholicism and Popes who didn't live lives appropriate for that of a priest. Seems to me that it's an odd thing for God to do.)>>

You will get nowhere discussing ANYTHING pertaining to religion unless you - out of respect for your father - sugarcoat your potentially and legitimately offensive comments.

Clearly some popes have been better than others. Some have done great things for the Church, while others have indeed harmed the Church. Still, to refer to any pope as "bad" - meaning "evil" - that is, by all accounts - an extremist view.

<<By the way, I'm not Catholic, nor am I a believer, but I'm not asking this question to debunk, I'm really curious. So I hope you won't get angry about this question.>>

Many non-Catholics think, wrongly, that Papal Infallibility refers to every little a pope says or does the entire time they are the pope. This is incorrect.

Only when the Pope is speaking "Ex cathedra", that is - from the chair (of Saint Peter) - on matters concerning Faith and Morals, are the pope's teachings treated as infallible.

This isn't something that happens that often. If a pope were about to pronounce something "ex cathedra", you'd know. There would be no mistaking an infallible teaching for a "regular" teaching.

• Misty

There haven't been "many bad Popes", actually only 2 who really did any damage, and thankfully they never changed any dogma or spoke ex cathedra.

God has and will always protect His Church, but this doesn't mean there won't be problems. In fact, the Bible says there will be. Jesus promises that the gates of hell will not prevail against the Church, but the gates have been pretty close at times.

God has a direction and purpose for each of us, Popes included. But it is up to us to decide to follow that path. Even someone like a Pope is a human being and can be tempted into corruption and away from his purpose and responsibility. In world history we can find many great and not-so great leaders who have become corrupt with power.

A Pope's election, influenced by the Holy Spirit, is not a guarantee that the Pope won't fall into sin and corruption. Only that had he kept Christ as his focus he would have done his duty as God ordained. But, we have the promise of Christ, that no matter what the Church will remain until His return, and that we can be sure of.

Yes, God Influences the Cardinals when they select a new Pope. Just before electing a new Pope, one of the first thing the College of Cardinals do is pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance in selecting a new one.

I'm guessing that in the case of bad popes, the Cardinals electing them were not heeding the Voice of the Holy Spirit when they made their decision.

But in the case of good ones: wouldn't you agree that it was God Who Influenced the Cardinals? Example: Pope John Paul II. Is he not evidence of God's Role in the selection of a new Pope?

the cardinals certainly pray to God to guide them to make the right decision. as for the odd "bad pope," remember that the Catholic Church doesnt teach that popes cannot sin or will be perfect, only that when they teach on matters of faith and morals, they will be preserved from error by the Holy Spirit, in the same way st. peter preached the gospel without error while at the same time did not lead a perfect life.

There have been bad popes, six if I remember correctly, quite a few hundred years ago. There have been no bad popes in recent history. And even the bad popes didn't inflict serious harm on the Church.

Another way of looking at it is that the Church and the truth entrusted to her were maintained IN SPITE OF the bad popes. Our faith is not based on the actions of any mere mortal like the pope, no matter how bad or how wonderful he might be.

that is nonsense, God would never place a man at the head of God's churuch, so why would God "influence" the cardinals in picking a pope?

each cardinal wants to be pope and its the most popular cardinal who gets the job- look at the current cardinal, he did the previous pope's funeral in such a way it was obvious he had been chosen before the guy was dead and buried.awful!

it quite is the respond, each and every physique PLEASE study. In Jesus's time and long earlier that no one replaced into like Christ or had the skill to do the failings he stated, or have the educational he gave. because of the fact no one had his teachings yet. Then the visual allure of Christ replaced into regular and he replaced into now on earth. while he replaced into leaving the earth Peter replaced into the closest to Christ in assessment because of the fact the main knowledgeable of the apostles. So Christ desperate to make him the recent instructor, because of the fact Christ did no longer prefer to bypass away the earth and not utilising a instructor. What i'm asserting is, there replaced into basically some adult men that would desire to teach like Jesus 2000 years in the past. In at present's international there are hundreds. case in point Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev is extra like Christ then any pope. The catholic church made the concept that there could basically be one like Christ at a definite time, and that one, could be granted the call of pope meaning father. while in Matthew 23:9 it says, call no guy your father in the international, for you have one Father, who's in heaven. The catholic church has made the concept that peter replaced into the 1st pope while certainly Peter replaced into the 2d taecher after Christ. The catholic church is brushing off all instructors who're no longer catholics to be a faux instructor. it quite is definitely a sin. maximum catholics you notice at present will say it quite is basically there way and not the protestants way, yet im no longer speaking approximately different religons, im speaking approximately people who've chanced on the solutions from interior of, by non secular strategies, no longer a definite set of ideals. i cant have self belief human beings think of its that easy. The universe and Jesus christ at the instant are not so straightforward. present day technology is telling us we are able to basically comprehend 5% of the universe. God says he's infinite and there is infinite information. religon will provide up human beings from utilising there mind

you see.... God may influence our lives but it's whether or not we choose to listen. i believe that yes, there were bad popes. i believe God knew it was going to happen too. I believe that all things happen for a reason - the Rcc did learn from those bad popes didn't they - thankfully! that's a challenge we all have -- how many times have you prayed about something, thought and thought but still weren't sure and had to make a decision. how many times have you prayed but were too impatient for the answer. how many times did you do what you wanted and not really prayed..... happens to us all!

I suspect the scenario goes something like this:

God the Father: H.S.?

Holy Spirit: Yeah, Dad?

GtF: Looks like they're gonna elect a new pope down there.

HS: Yep. You want I should go down and give 'em a noodge?

GtF: Nah. But be prepared to straighten out the winner whenever it's needed, will you?

HS: Well, Pop, I'll try, but you know those stiff-necked humans. They're gonna go all whiny about free will and then well....

GtF: I know, l'il buddy, I know, but would you really have Me take it back?

HS: Good God, NO! You think I got nothing better to do with eternity than sit around playing puppetmaster with them?

GtF: Point taken. Well, go on down and do your best.

HS: On My way, dad. best to JC.

And on the wings of a snow-white dove the Holy Spirit descends and tries to whisper into their ears. Being males, they rarely listen.

But somehow or other, probably because Jesus promised that God would never abandon His church nor let Satan s***w it over, Holy Mother Church manages to survive, even thrive.

The moral: When Jesus speaks, you'd do well to listen!