LA Lakers asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Which MLB team should I support (read details)?

I would like to start following the MLB league. I do not know which team I should support but I've cut it down to 4 to choose from. I'de like if you could help me out. The 4 teams are:

St Louis Cardinals

Arizona D Backs

New York Mets

Chicago Cubs

I don't live in the US so I don't care what area the team is located in.

Cheers

P.S. I'de like if you could tell me why I should go for one of those teams over the other with your answers.

• Favorite Answer

This sounds like a question I recently asked only about NHL though. I too don't live in the US and I am a die-hard Cardinals fan. I'd also like to say that I'm glad that there is no Yankees or Red Sox on your list as those teams are just plain annoying.

As for your question I'd go for the Cardinals. First off they have a long time history in the game of baseball with the second most world series titles after the Yankees. The Cardinals main rivals are the Cubs, so make sure you choose the right team out of these two as you'll have to hate the other one. I'd go with the Cards as being a fan of them myself, they will rarely dissapoint you and as I said they are rich full or history, pennants and legendary players.

As for the Diamond Backs and the Mets. I'd say the Diamond Backs, they have come out with a bang in this season and are strong favourites to go to the World Series this year. The reason why you should go for them over the Mets is because the Diamond Backs used to be losing team and have come back and turned themselves around. If you go for them and they win the World Series you also get to gloat and say that your team won. As for the Mets they have a while to go before they win a pennant.

• Js_5

Cardinals.

They've made money by being a great baseball organization and not with huge media sponsorship and big populations like Chicago, New York and Los Angeles.

St. Louis is nothing without the Cardinals, really. They are sometimes overlooked by the national media (even when they win the World Series) but there is no fan base more passionate than the Cardinals' fan base.

They have 10 world championships, second most to the Yankees, and have never been accused of "buying" their championships like the Yankees have and, in some cases, the same has been said about the Red Sox.

There is a unique relationship between the players and fans there as well.

PLUS, Cardinals fans will applaud opposing players when they break records, make great plays or see players coming back to their stadium that used to play for the Cards.

And while every place will have boo's sometimes...it is very rare in St. Louis. It is NOT rare in places like NY, Chicago or L.A.

• Denise

The strike in '94 really hurt baseball in Canada. That should have been the Expos' year, but then the ownership wouldn't put the money in to keep the team going. A lot of talent went through that organization, but it sort of became like a AAAA team for every other team in baseball; MLB-ready players, without the time or expense needed to bring them through your own system. And then of course, a lot of fans stopped watching after the strike. Toronto has started to recover over the past few years, but then, Ted Rogers has been putting the money into the team to put a quality team on the field again. Thank you uncle Ted! If Canada's going to get another MLB team, it almost has to go to Vancouver at this point. I have no idea what the fanbase would be like, but there is a heavy Asian population on the West Coast, so with baseball being so popular in Japan, and popularity growing in other Asian countries, it could work out, with the right management. As far as adding another team to balance it out, I wouldn't be all that concerned. Since the leagues aren't evenly split now (14 AL teams - 16 NL teams), adding another AL team to make it 15-16 isn't really off the wall. (Which brings up the whole topic of re-alignment, because the divisions should be balanced to begin with..but whatever...I'm sure Selig didn't have any ulterior motives in that at all....

Don't root for the Mets, they are similar to the Red Sox or Yanks in that they just go out and spend to fix their team. Rooting for a team should have some difficulty in it, and players that are brought up through their system. So, I'd rule out the Mets. The Cubs would be a decent team to root for, but I wouldn't really want that huge fan base who prides themselves on the "Woe is me" attitude that many Cubs fans seem to have. That brings it down to the Cards or D-Backs. I think the Cards have the best fan base in baseball, they have a lot of history, and are a team worth rooting for. However, my choice would probably be Arizona. The D-Backs have a young, exciting team. They have a model in place that allows them to compete and are fun to watch, IMO. I'd go either the D-Backs or Cardinals, while probably favoring the D-Backs.

I'm surprised you did not mention the Red Sox or Yankees. With the exception of Arizona you choose the most popular teams in MLB. You should go with a team that 1,000's of other people don't support. Don't just jump on the band wagon. Choose a team such as the Milwaukee Brewers who are a good team and don't have band wagon fans.

I would go with the Cubs. They have a good history...they haven't been to the World Series since 1908, but they also have the better fans, stadium, and franchise.

Chicago cubs, all the other teams have won a world series recently.

The cubs havent won a world series since 1908!

I wouldn't go with any of them I would go for the Orioles. Not just because of how good they are doing but just because I've been a fan of them my whole life.

i'm a yankee fan, and i gotta say that anything that happens in new york is exciting and there's nothing like new york sports....fans in new york just have incredible passion for their teams.... so i'd suggest that you follow the mets

I think you should support the Tampa Bay Rays. They are a very good team and are very young so they will be good for a long time.