Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Jehovah’s Witnesses: have you ever missed a meeting because you thought it was the wrong day?

At least once, I missed a meeting because I thought it was Friday, not Thursday. Other things I’ve been guilty of: misplacing literature, bringing the wrong stuff to meetings, forgetting my song book, and so forth. At one assembly a speaker gave the wrong talk. It was a very good talk, by the way. I also know a sister who was appointed a regular pioneer even before she was baptized. This was in the old days when things weren’t as shipshape as they are now. In one life story, a former circuit overseer’s wife admitted she didn’t understand why some Witnesses didn’t bring the right stuff to meetings or forgot their song books until she retired from circuit work to take care of an elderly sick relative. She worked hard to be a caretaker and then sometimes forgot to bring the right things to meetings herself. That is when she understood how tired imperfection can work for us.

Favorite Answer

Well, I have forgotten my song book a few times. Had to go to the literature counter to get another. And once I brought the wrong study article on Sunday. Duh.

Hannah J Paul

Oh- for me carrying the wrong magazine was my main problem. I'd prepare and then leave it on the table. I'm a sleepy head, so I only wake up when I absolutely HAVE to. If I meet someone at the shower it means I'll start running late, so with the running around after that I end up picking up the wrong magazine. Now I place the magazine in my Bible.

The thing I forget most often is my notebook. And since I've gotten so used to taking notes, I need to start asking for scraps of paper from the friends.

I've missed the Book Study before because I wasn't watching the clock.

Another problem is the Daylight Saving time changes. The good thing is that each time I'm an hour EARLY for the meetings, and not an hour late :-)

Oh dear, I'm not that confused. Some mornings I do wake up a little disoriented and have to try and figure out if I work or have the day off. After I figure that out it's pretty much downhill either way. I have forgotten to bring literature to meetings or forgot something vital for field service. I attribute it to being tired more than age. To much to deal with and I need a serious vacation. HA HA

Many times.

Every year we will switch the Sunday meeting times (share the Hall with 2 other congregations) and I generally wind up at the wrong one).

My work also allows me to make only 1/2 the meetings and days and times are not important at work and that carries over and I lose track of the day of the week and the time.

I've been an hour late in the Spring when the clocks were set forward... does that count?

I usually use the same literature at each door, just because I don't have time to change, change, change...

Funny; I understood you saying "guilty" in your question...

"things I’ve been guilty of..." it was just a figure of speech; you probably used that figureof speech before you became a Witness...

anyway

I just wonder if other's would read that and have a strong reaction... SEE they think they have to earn salvation.... (know what I mean...)

I'm not being critical... I bet I use the same figure of speech myself (get it?)...

I just wonder what makes them think that way about us and when I saw that line, it jogged my memory to that issue..

I remember the COs wife's comment also...

I was happy they printed it...

I nearly did that this week. Our meeting was moved from Tuesday to Monday as the other congregation that shares the same hall as us, had the CO visit. I came home started to get all relaxed and comfortable when my wife reminded me that there was a meeting. It was so hard to get up and ready to go then as I was feeling so chilled out and I was feeling sleepy. Still I went and as always, I was glad I did. It was a good meeting in the company of my spiritual family in a really nice congregation :-)

Mothers - What's the most beautiful gift you've ever received for Mother's day?

I haven't missed a meeting due to the thinking it was the wrong day. And as far as forgetting my stuff i put everything into one big bag so i just grab and then i know that i got it all.

I nearly have. On many occations I wasn't ready for the meeting and then it would suddenly click when I'm watching the news that it's Thursday and I have to dash around like a mad thing to get ready.