J.B. Holiday asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

If you stay awake and never sleep, what will happen?

I've heard that you can hallucinate or even actually die, without sleep.

The record is 11 1/2 days, David Blaine's next stunt is to try and break that by staying awake for 1,000,000 sec, about 11 3/4 days.

Favorite Answer

Good for him, but that's Hollywood for you. They won't risk death normally and film it, would they? Then again, the media, news caster, the news never had a right to film half of what they show. Our military and even SWAT doing there thing. It doesn't take a genius to notice that there positions are lost if a criminal can just turn on a TV to catch the news! Then again, people may have insomnia, NO!

Source(s): Yes, you do risk death, etc,etc, and etc. if you don't sleep. Sleep, is the bodies way to repair a days worth of ordeals. Our Stress. This is why my muscles, bones, and joints tend to hurt. I'm someone who has a TBI or Traumatic Brain Injury!

One thing is for certain if you stay awake. You will remain yourself, and be able to answer many Y!A questions, all friggin' night long. If you fall asleep, you WILL be replaced by the Pod People.

I've seen it happen on TV, long ago, before they took over the media and the government. It started when they landed in the 1950's, outside a small agricultural town in Northern California, and now they've taken over the everything, including R&S & P&G, they are keeping it a secret, and we are in great danger.

If you see avatars changing or screeching at you, log off and run away immediately.

STAY AWAKE or they WILL get you!

• Aaron6 years agoReport

what the heck are u talking about.......aliens?

Lack of sleep brings on hallucinations and delirium. The human brain and body must have sleep or else it could result in major complications. Not sure if death is one of them. Basically it will drive you crazy but probably takes longer than 11 3/4 days.

on normal conditions you can´t control the time you go without sleeping after a point you will eventually past out and then sleep, if you try this using drugs or under extreme stress your system will crash and then again past out and sleep unless you get into shock first and then you could face a life or death situation specially if you stayed awakeby chemical methods. Brain, eyes, and heart need to sleep so that is what you will mess with if you don´t do it properly

Well I once stayed awake for almost 3 days. And I was delirious and I think hallucinating.

• Afi

I don't think one can stay awake and never sleep. The body has ways of making sure that it does what it does even if one tries to resist.

My record was 3 solid days without any help. I went to bed because both of my eyes were twitching, and believe me that is annoying as ####. You can't see straight any longer!

I've heard that lack of sleep can kill you even faster that lack of food because your body just can't renew itself and you end up kicking it because of extreme exhaustion.

My limit was 5- 7 days I don't remember...anyways I was walking and just fell down and didn't remember falling. I did wake up screaming. LOL.... *sigh* ... memories of college hazing....

• ?

What will happen??

um, life.

Who's Donny Blaine?

I've only gotten 6 hrs of sleep in 5 days and nights...yes...and i've already started to hallucinate. My eyes do hurt really bad and i've kinda lost my appetite because of it. i need more sleep. so yes take it from me i've already gone through 3 things so please sleep. i'm trying to but my body wants to stay awake. need to see a doctor.