Courage is defined not as the absence of fear, but as acting in spite of it.?

Favorite Answer

Courage is a funny thing. It is almost a contradiction in terms: it means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die. I do believe that courage does not exclude fear. It is resistance to fear or mastery of fear, but not absence of it. Great occasions do not make heros or cowards, they only unveil them to the eyes of the world. Lastly, a man of courage is often no braver than than an ordinary man, but is braver for five minutes longer. Good question.

Source(s): Emerson, Chesterton, Twain, Westcott

Not necessarily "acting" but "Being". Courage is the affirmation of Being in spite of threats of existential, physical, or psychological non-being.

An existential threat requires the help of a priest, a physical threat requires the help of a flight or fight response, and psychological non-being is another way of saying neurosis which needs the help of a psychologist.

Read the book or a review of "Courage to Be" by Paul Tillich.... probably the best speech on the subject.

I completely agree. It almost seem inhuman to be devoid of fear. If somebody is not afraid of something, it wouldn't seem appropriate to label that person courageous. But, if a person is literally "shaking in his or her boots" and still performs an action or makes a decision for the greater good he or she is truly courageous.

Heart, spirit and valour. Courage has nothing to do with fear. Your courage rises when you are threatened. You carry courage...always. Like fear. Love and hate. They rise. In the appropriate situations.

definitely courage is not the absence of fear but a judgment that something else is more important than fear...

like soldiers fight on the boarders not because they are not afraid of dieing but because they know our safety is more important than their lives...

Agreed, with a qualifier: You can not truly be afraid of the unknown, yet to confront the unknown you must have courage.

• amy

I would agree. If you arent afraid of something, how can you be courageous?

Example: I am afraid of peacocks, but my friend that isnt afraid isnt being courageous by walking up to one. I would be though, since i am afraid of them.