JMD asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 decade ago

Probability question - 10 points to first person who answers correctly!?

Susan has red, blue, green & yellow sweaters.Joanne has green, red, purple & white sweaters. Diane's sweaters are red, blue, purple and mauve. Each girl has only one sweater of each color and will pick a sweater at random. Find each probability:

1. P(each girl choses a different color)

2. P(each girl chooses the same color)

3. P(2 girls chose the same and 3rd chooses different color.)

4. P(each girld chooses a red sweater)/ Is this 1/64 and how is this question different than 2?

Favorite Answer

1) 32/64 = 1/2 different color.

8+8+8+8 =32 ( for example for red : RGB, RGP, RGM, RPB, RPM, RWB, RWP, RWM )

total : 64

2) there is only red color that all three girls have.

1/ 64 ( or you can think as 1/4*1/4*1/4)

3) tricky because of the red color.

2 girl same with blue is 4, green is 4, purple is 4

but red is total : 9

9 + 12 = 21

21/ 64

4) yes it is 1/64 . It is different than 2 because as I told you red color is the trick here. The answer change because of the red color... Red color 1/3 for each different person.

I don't know if these answers are correct. I'll still give them to u anyway. 1.) I think that it's 9 1/12. 2.)I think the answer is 3/12, which = 1/4. #3.) I think the answer is 1/2. I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to number 4.