Where's your favorite campground in Washington state?

Hi! I'm in South Eastern Washington and there's not a lot of campgrounds around here (the desert). We're trying to plan some camping trips here in WA or OR - where do you like to go? Is there a stream or lake nearby? Thanks!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Washington campgrounds are nice, but if you're willing to venture a bit off the beaten path and forgo some of the comforts of home, there are plenty of camping options. All of the campgrounds below are first-come, first-served; no reservations are accepted, so arriving early is always a safe bet.

South Fork Hoh (Olympic Peninsula)

This rarely used, beautiful camp set along the cascading South Fork of the Hoh River, is way out there. It's tiny and primitive but offers a guarantee of peace and quiet.

Posey Island State Park Boat-In (San Juan Island)

This is not only one of the smallest designated campgrounds in Washington, but is also one of the most idyllic and beautiful to reach by small boat. More boat-in campgrounds

Hawk Creek (Roosevelt Lake)

A pleasant camping spot along the shore of Roosevelt Lake (Columbia River), adjacent to the mouth of Hawk Creek.

Graham Harbor Creek (Lake Chelan)

This is one of the more remote, primitive campgrounds on giant Lake Chelan. Fishing and boating are the main recreation attractions here.

Big Greider Lake Hike-In (Washington Cascades)

This primitive campground on Big Greider Lake is a hideaway in a gorgeous setting. The landscape features sub-alpine terrain. More hike-in campgrounds

Hozomeen (Washington Cascades)

Hozomeen campground is just inside the U.S.-Canada border at the northeast end of Ross Lake, at 1,600 feet elevation. It takes quite an effort to get here, which tends to weed out all but the most stalwart campers.

Lake Merrill (Mount St. Helens)

Nestled in old-growth Douglas firs on the shore of Lake Merrill very near Mount St. Helens, this site is for campers seeking a quiet setting.

Mowich Lake Walk-In (Mount Rainier National Park)

A walk-in camp with campsites set adjacent to and above Mowich Lake, with a lake view from some of the sites. A 200-yard walk is required to reach the campsites. More walk-in campgrounds

Palouse Falls State Park (Snake and Palouse Rivers)

This remote state park is well worth the trip. Spectacular 198-foot Palouse Falls is a sight not to miss.

Smokey Creek (Mount Adams)

A primitive, little-used campground set in an area of old-growth Douglas firs along Smokey Creek. A trail leading into the Indian Heaven Wilderness passes near the camp.

Morrison Creek (Mount Adams)

Here's a prime, yet little-known spot. It's located along Morrison Creek at an elevation of 4,600 feet near the southern slopes of Mount Adams (12,276 feet).

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Both of these campgrounds are crowded, but worth it!

Salmon-La-Sac (Cle Elem) is on two rivers. There is also a hike up to a lake. I haven't been there since I was a kid, but I spent many summers catching water skeeters, building rock bridges and watching bridge jumpers and river tubers.

Dungeness Spit (Sequim). This is one of the cleanest campgrounds I've been to. The only thing is that in order to get to the water, you have to walk through the National Wildlife Refuge and it costs money. The hike out to the lighthouse is great!

• ?5 years agoReport

Take caution if camping next to the Spit- although you won't see any signs posted, the campground is frequented by mountain lions and coyotes after the sun goes down. See for yourself if you can find some muddy areas where tracks will speak for themselves. Coyotes raid the eggs and chicks on Spit.

• alex
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Glacier View Campground on Lake Wenatchee is amazing, there is a beautiful view of the mountains, a beautiful lake, and wonderful hikes.

And just about any campground in the olympic forest is amazing.

Source(s): resident
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have to agree with the other girl that said Salmon Le Sac, near Cle Elum! Beautiful area, streams nearby, lakes close enough to do some good fishing! It's great! I was out there last Memorial Day weekend and might be there this one!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
  • 1 decade ago

Dececption Pass , Whidbey Island

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We went to Lake Crescent and it was so fun. We got a site right on the water. There's also some hiking you can do to see the falls...can't remember the name of it.

• ?5 years agoReport

There are two sets of Falls. Meremar is the one you mention. The other is over by where the Elway Dam had been. Both readily accessible from the highway 101.

• 1 decade ago

Kalaoch (near the ocean)

Heart of the Hills (near Hurricane Ridge)

• 3 years ago

provide up interior the decrease southwest of the main outstanding and populous habitats in each and every of the land. no longer basically the southwest, bypass to Kentucky and West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. and are available as much as northern Illinois the place I stay and inspect Black Hawk Trails in Oregon, sick.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.