floating paper boats?

i have to build a boat in math that will float even with weights (wahses) on it, anyone know how?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Good old curious george style boats are generally the best. They displace a decent amount of water, are very stable, and the center can have a little flag taped to it. I know without pictures instructions can be confusing, but considering they are so easy, I think you can handle it.

Fold a sheet in half short ways. Fold it in half the other way, but unfold it this time, leaving a centerline crease. Fold the corners of the folded side to the centerline, making a point out of what was the folded side (like you were making a paper airplane). If you used 8-1/2 by 11 then you have a little bit of the non-folded side that you can fold down over each side. You should have a triangle that you can open into a peter pan hat. This will hold water and is a great way to make a cup if you desperately need one. You could also use this as your boat if you stick some weight in the bottom and use something to hold it open. Chances are it will just fall over and sink though...

Now all you have to do is half turn this inside out. Fold the point down to the middle of the open side to make a crease and unfold. This crease is just to make the next step easier. Open the hat and push the point in. You now have something that resembles a stupid sombrero or a curious george boat, depending on if it is on your head or in the water.

I made a flotilla of these in the waiting are at the pearl harbor thing and put them in the fountain there with bits of bread in them. Much to my amusement, the pigeons that swarm around there attacked and sank the boats. It was quite the reenactment.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You have to use wax paper because regular paper gets soggy.

The weight of water displaced by the boat equals the weight of the boat and the cargo.

Your boat must be able to displace at least that much water in volume to have neutral buoyancy.

If it displaces less volume than that weight of water it is denser than the water and will sink. If it can displace more than its own weight in water it is buoyant and will float.

• 4 years ago

40 Boat Building Videos : http://BoatPlans.NaturallyGo.com/?oGz

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When you become an architecht, are you going to ask Yahoo Answers how to build a tower? Try it out for yourself, it doesn't seem that hard.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you need to use stock paper

i know this because i do origami and i always make paper boats float when i use stock paper

• 1 decade ago

As MCNASTY responded, do what Curious George did in "Curious George rides a bike"

• 1 decade ago

Use laminate paper

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.