What does NWT (New World Translation) say for Hebrews 1:8 ?

In Hebrews 1:8, NKJV (New King James Version) Says: "But to the Son he says: 'Your throne, O God, is forever and ever..."

Members of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Soceity say that Jesus is Michael the archangel (and at the same time, he's a god, John 1:1 NWT)

The verse in my question is a reference to Psalm 45:6 - I wonder how the WTBS handles this verse, and if they say it's talking about the 1 true God, Jehovah, how do they render Heb 1:8 ?

Update:

Hmmm, pretty interesting post by "Worker":

ASV, BBE, CEV, Darby, DRB, ESV, Geneva, GNB, HNV, ISV, KJV-1611 Version, and LITV translations all say the same thing, but New World Translation corrects them all, and gets it right - sure, that's likely . . .

Oh and BTW - I'm not saying that you HAVE to go with the majority - my take on eschatology is in the minority, but ALL the other major tranlations render it the same way EXCEPT NWT ?

Doesn't that sound a tad suspicious ?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hebrews 1:8 New World Translation Jehovah's Witness

8 But with reference to the Son: “God is your throne forever and ever, and [the] scepter of your kingdom is the scepter of uprightness.

Others say;

Heb 1:8

(ASV) but of the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever; And the sceptre of uprightness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

(BBE) But of the Son he says, Your seat of power, O God, is for ever and ever; and the rod of your kingdom is a rod of righteousness.

(CEV) But God says about his Son, "You are God, and you will rule as King forever! Your royal power brings about justice.

(Darby) but as to the Son, Thy throne, O God, is to the age of the age, and a sceptre of uprightness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

(DRB) But to the Son: Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of justice is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

(ESV) But of the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.

(Geneva) But vnto the Sonne he saith, O God, thy throne is for euer and euer: the scepter of thy kingdome is a scepter of righteousnes.

(GNB) About the Son, however, God said: "Your kingdom, O God, will last forever and ever! You rule over your people with justice.

(HNV) But of the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever. The scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your Kingdom.

(HOT)

(ISV) But about the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, and the scepter of your kingdom is a righteous scepter.

(JPS)

(KJV+) But1161 unto4314 the3588 Son5207 he saith, Thy4675 throne,2362 O God,2316 is forever and ever:1519, 165, 165 a scepter4464 of righteousness2118 is the3588 scepter4464 of thy4675 kingdom.932

(KJV-1611) But vnto the Sonne, he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for euer and euer: a scepter of righteousnesse is the scepter of thy kingdome.

(KJVR) But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever: a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of thy kingdom.

(LITV) but as to the Son, "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, A scepter of uprightness is the scepter of Your kingdom;

• 1 decade ago

Remember there are no commas in Greek (remember the today issue and which side the comma goes on?). There is also no word of.

NWT is online for free use......http://www.watchtower.org/e/bible/index.htm

NWT says Heb. 1:8

8 But with reference to the Son: “God is your throne forever and ever, and [the] scepter of your kingdom is the scepter of uprightness.

Textus Receptus says,

1:8 [ Greek Font Size: – / + | Toggle Font ] [ View in: BYZ / NA26 | Side-by-side ]

But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

prov de ton uion o yronov sou o yeov eiv ton aiwna tou aiwnov rabdov euyuthtov h rabdov thv basileiav sou

They add the commas where they want and don't tell you that o is NOT the word O, but the indefinite article "the". Footnote there.

o( in all their inflections, the definite article

Transliterated Word Phonetic Spelling

Ho ho

Parts of Speech TDNT

article None

Definition

this, that, these, etc.

So literal English is Thy throne the God is, to the age of the age. IN my hard copy....TR has [is] in brackets for correctness.

Other versions of the Bible similarly render this verse.

http://www.heraldmag.org/olb/bsl/Library/BIBLES/di...

Emphatic Diaglott (RC Greek Interlinear)

concerning but the Son: The throne of thee the god for the ages of the ages.....

21st Century Bible (Nazarene)

http://www.nazarene-friends.org/nazcomm/58/001.htm...

HE1:8 However, regarding the Son, [The God says], “The God is your throne throughout all future periods of time. Your Kingdom’s scepter is a scepter of just standards.

An American Translation Goodspeed Heb. 1:8, 9

But of the Son he says, 8

"God is your throne forever and

ever!

And a righteous scepter is the scep­

ter of his kingdom!

You have loved right and hated 9

wrong!

That is why God, your God, has

anointed you with exhilarating

oil beyond all your comrades."

Debbie

• TeeM
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The understanding of vs 8 has to agree with vs 9. "Your God has anointed you."

(NASB)

9"YOU HAVE LOVED RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HATED LAWLESSNESS;

THEREFORE GOD, YOUR GOD, HAS ANOINTED YOU

WITH THE OIL OF GLADNESS ABOVE YOUR COMPANIONS."

This is a quote from: Ps 45:6 & 7.

The original was referencing Hezekiah, and is also prophetic about Jesus.

In the first fulfillment, Hezekiah is not God, but the source of Hezekiah's throne.

(1 Chronicles 29:23) 23 And Sol′o·mon began to sit upon Jehovah’s throne as king in place of David his father and to make a success of it, . . .

Just as Solomon, Hezekiah was also sitting upon Jehovah's throne.

So the companions Jesus has been anointed over is his Fathers, David, Solomon, Hezekiah, etc.

Jehovah's throne is continuous because his appointed King is ruling.

Context rules.

• 1 decade ago

Reponses to questions like these infuriate me. Why do we delve in such hogwash? Why do we try to get hidden meanings from words that should be clear?

What i'd like to know then is this:

Who do you say Jesus is? That is a simple question that Jesus himself asked and when Peter responded that Jesus was the Christ who was to come, Jesus told him that he had gotten that answer directly from God. Therefore Jesus is Lord and what more shall I say except, repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sins so that you may be saved, the promise is for you and for you family... (Acts 2:38)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Although there is no other similar occurrence in the entire bible, Trinitarians claim that Hebrews 1:8 has the FATHER calling the SON by the expression "O God".

(RSV: "But of the Son he says, "Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever")

In actuality that scripture agrees better with the rest of the bible when it is understood that the Father serves as Jesus' 'throne', or source of authority. As the questioner notes, the Father was similarly referred to as the eternal 'throne' of Israel's human kings.

.. ..(Psalm 45:1,6 RSV: "I address my verses to the king; ...Your divine throne endures for ever and ever.)

In other words, God Himself is the source and basis of all theocratic majesty. Hebrews 1:8 does not support the trinity, but agrees with the rest of the bible that Jesus is appointed by God and thus is a separate distinct person from Jehovah God the Father.

Jehovah's Witnesses teach that no salvation occurs without Christ, that accepting Christ's sacrifice is a requirement for true worship, that every prayer must acknowledge Christ, that Christ is the King of God's Kingdom, that Christ is the head of the Christian congregation, that Christ is immortal and above every creature, even that Christ was the 'master worker' in creating the universe!

Jehovah's Witnesses love and respect and honor Christ. However, Jehovah's Witnesses believe that the Scriptures quite plainly demonstrate that Jesus and the Almighty are separate distinct persons, and the Almighty created Jesus as His firstborn son.

(Philippians 2:5-6) Christ Jesus, who, although he was existing in God's form, gave no consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be equal to God

(John 12:49) I have not spoken out of my own impulse, but the Father himself who sent me has given me a commandment as to what to tell and what to speak

(1 Corinthians 15:28) But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him

(1 Corinthians 11:3) I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; ...in turn the head of the Christ is God

(John 20:17) I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.

(Deuteronomy 6:4) Jehovah our God is one Jehovah

(1 Corinthians 8:4-6) There is no God but one. For even though there are those who are called "gods," whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many "gods" and many "lords," there is actually to us one God the Father, out of whom all things are, and we for him

Thanks again for an opportunity to share what the bible actually says about the distinct persons of Jesus Christ the Son and Jehovah God the Father!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

New Testament = Political Garbage

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

wait five mins and their doctrine will change.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.