Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Spirituality Requires an Open Mind?

Don't worry. This isn't the "Why are Atheists here" question... but I'm wondering... if you can't be at least a little open-minded, should you even go to the spirituality section? Take away the "religion" part for a minute.

This is to the religious people who say, "My way is the only right way and you're stupid for believing any different," and also to the people who say, "There is no God. You're just a sheep. You're too dumb to think for yourself."

Doesn't the concept of spirituality require an open mind?

Update:

You guys are great. Thanks for such original answers! :)

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It also requires an open heart.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes spirituality does require an open mind. However, sadly, a lot of people on this forum are sheep - atheists and Christians alike. It's just human nature to follow the crowd.

• 1 decade ago

You can only receive when your mind is open - not when it is closed. Why is "spirituality" such a dirty word to some people anyway? It doesn't and shouldn't take away from anyone else's beliefs.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i love cosmic chameleons answer.... beautiful! on the level of concepts the war will never end... everyone holds a different idea about the unknown, the inecplicable in mind, and yet, it is not on the level of concepts where the direct experience of truth can be found, but on the level prior to all concepts, in an open, empty mind... then, like on the surface of a still lake the truth can be reflected... as long as ripples (concepts) are in mind, one can only believe... the direct seeing is the end of all struggle with concepts...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I don't think the notion of "God" is necessary to spirituality.

I'm an atheist Buddhist, or at least one who has studied and practiced Buddhist and Hindu meditation techniques intensely.

It seems fairly certain to me, based on my researches, that the "God" of organized religion is little more than a relic of primitive animism. Yet I'm absolutely certain, based on personal experience, that "Attainment" or "Enlightenment" (or whatever) is a definite phenomenon with definite conditions. Religion is probably usually a case of one man's personal spiritual experience being misinterpreted and dogmatized by his followers.

Call me a "gnostic." Direct experience is the only thing that matters. "It's not enough to be a Christian - you must become a Christ."

• 1 decade ago

A a Christian, I think that God gave us a mind in order to regularly observe, think reflect and make choices. If we were just supposed to follow one way for all eternity, "He" would have made us like the rest of the animals.

Without an open mind, we are stagnant.

• 1 decade ago

((HUGS))

Religion is for those afraid of hell ... Spirituality is a place for those that have been there ... The more hellish situations or experiences an individual has, the easier it is to have one of those open minds !!

Rigid religiousness closes the mind. It concentrates on the 'was', not giving enough emphasis on the now.

• 1 decade ago

Absolutely. Once you have found the truth however, why keep looking? For example, Christians rightly believe that only faith in Jesus Christ can bring eternal life. If we believe that then why would be interested in Buddha, Islam, Hindi, Judaism or anything else?

Having said that, christians still need to keep an open mind because their is alot in their guidebook (the bible) to read and understand...none of which is possible until you exercise your faith to believe in Jesus Christ. Romans 10:8-10.

• 1 decade ago

All who follow a sincere, honest and informed conscience can be saved regardless of religious or non-religious affiliation. To the extent people do not follow this type of a conscience, to that extent they need to be warned. Is that open-minded enough?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No it requires a broken heart...The mind will never be able to understand spirituality....The mind needs proof and logic...Spirituality requires feelings...when you fall as low as you can go...the only way out is to look up....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.