Having a couple problems with my '87 sportster?

When I first try to start my bike, the starter doesn't want to turn the engine at first, and the battery terminals get red hot for a split second, but then it starts to turn over fine. I really don't want to ruin this battery, could someone please tell me what could be wrong? Also, when I took my carburetor... show more When I first try to start my bike, the starter doesn't want to turn the engine at first, and the battery terminals get red hot for a split second, but then it starts to turn over fine. I really don't want to ruin this battery, could someone please tell me what could be wrong? Also, when I took my carburetor apart to change the jets, I took off the diapragm cover and must have dropped the spring, without knowing it was even there. Make a long story short, the bike ran fine without it, because I just found the spring the other day, and it was a little bent out of shape. I bent the spring back an put it back in the diaphragm cover, and now the over-flow hose starts pouring when I turn the petcock on. Is the spring causing too much pressure on the diaphragm? If so, will the harley dealer charge me an arm and a leg for a new one? I know it's just a spring, but they tried to charge me $12 for four tiny little screws for my turn signal covers.
5 answers 5