promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

Do you have to get divorced in same county you got married in ,in Texas?

I've been divorced for about 7yrs now and i heard a rumor that it might not be valid because we got divorced in different counties. Is this true? It could all just be a rumor but thought I'd ask. Better be safe than sorry. Although it might be a little to late.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Assuming your divorce was done through an attorney, you have nothing to worry about. I filed my own Texas divorce and did not use an attorney. We were married in Tyler County and divorced in Harris County. Filing your own divorce is not recommended for people with children or real property. The law was you had to be 6 mos. in the state and 3 mos. in the county. I qualified on all accounts. 7 yrs? Honey, you're divorced! By the way, in Texas you cannot remarry for 90 days from the date your divorce is granted. Guess that's not a problem, huh?

Source(s): Personal experience
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pal
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You generally have to get divorced in the county you live in if you are the one seeking the divorce. If you didn't live in the county where you filed they would not have heard the case. It is just a rumor started by someone who didn't understand something they heard,

• Jan C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You would file for a divorce in the county in which you live. Where you married has nothing to do with the divorce.

• catman
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No, you get divorced in the county that you live in as long as you meet living requirements (such as a certain amount of time of living in that county before the divorce).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No, you only have to reside in the county you file in.

• JustMe
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

no, but I think you have to reside in that county for so many months. You will have to do the research.

• Shavon
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

no

• 1 decade ago

No.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.