Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 1 decade ago

how can the average american save money on gas?

i understand the idea of using less

but at this point

most americans are using as little as possible

how can we save money

whether you have alternative fuels, or any ideas......as long as it saves me money in the long run

also....can you tailor any of these ideas to a teenager (im 16 with a trucj that gets aroun 22mpg)

Favorite Answer

for best mileage, drive with traffic, keep up with the slow lane and don't cause a blockage. you'll get good mileage following traffic, you let off alot. the biggest thing you can do is your driving style, you get twice the mileage slowing down and triple going down hill, so the sooner you let off the gas the better you will do. anticipate stop signs and lights, left off the gas as soon as you can..

Always use your od, if you don't have one, put on 2 size larger tires on the drive wheels and remember to figure a correction for mileage. you can check it against a gps to find it..

it really helps if you have a car with a mileage computer so you can watch it...

I commute by bicycle 16 miles a day. I don't need to drive to the gym. I've never felt better.

No car payment, no insurance - change in your pocket!

Also:

Combine errands on the weekends.

One day a week: Take a driving "sabbath".

Hey it's a start - I wish everyone could experience the bicycle commute - it rocks, but I understand I live in a unique part of the U.S.

Tailored for 16 year old male: Dude, seriously your buddies might think you're a freak and make fun of you, but chicks dig the biker body and a man committed to a cause. You can dare to be different - you'll have to be more creative about dates, but that will make you far more romantic. If she drives, you can be her "starving artist, activist" boyfriend - which totally sets you apart from the guzzler crowd.

The lady that is interested in you for these reasons will likely be worth your time my man. Any fool can drive a truck. It takes a man to ride a bike.

Source(s): Been there - if I knew then what I know now... Portland, OR.

"most americans are using as little as possible"

NOT EVEN CLOSE. Take a look at the cars around you. How many are SUVs with one person?

........, you drive a low mileage truck, junk it and get a more economical car.

Some tips for help with mileage:

keep your tire pressure as high as your owners manual allows.

drive carefully. accelerate slowly.

when you see a stop (red light, etc) ahead of you, immediately take your foot off the gas and coast to the stop.

no roof rack

keep the car maintained properly.

If your owners manual says premium fuel required, use it.

on the open highway, drive as slowly as your patience allows. I found that shifting from 75 to 65 increased my mileage by 20%.

Use cruise control. Steady speed helps mileage.

Do not idle. let the car warm only for 30 seconds before driving off. If you are going to be stopped at a long light, shut the engine off.

And the biggest one: don't drive.

It cost your soul and the American enslavements, as you will only see the cost of this war, when China will ask to be refunded!! OUCH!!! Now, they only keep the illusion intact, to keep the support of the mass for this pseudo war! All in all, the Americans are the victim of the biggest scam and robbery this planet has ever seen, and yet, they don`t know about it!! Welcome back on Earth... The cost of ANY war in history, have always been seen after it actually finished! This one will be no exception!

Whenever you go down a hill put your car in neutral and let the breeze flow!! haha. My Spanish teacher said that he went on a 4 hour drive without using any gas by getting sucked all the way to his destination by two trucks that were going 100 miles an hour down the interstate. Cool huh!?!

Trade your truck in...I am 21 with a 2007 Chevy Aveo...It cost me $10,000 and for a 1400 mile trip I paid a total of

$160.00 with $3.61 being the average gas price

Carpooling. See if you have any friends that live nearby, when going to school or work. A friend and I will be taking turns every week picking each other up. Hope this helps!

car pool, walk or ride a bike