What made you decide to turn your baby forward facing?

I promise this isn't a set up for an attack. I am honestly curious about what reasons led you to turn your baby forward facing when you did. We have a 13 month old who is still pretty happy being rear facing and I'm not making any plans to change soon, but I'm wondering what the actual benefits of forward facing are, and why you made that decision when you did.

• dolly
    Favorite Answer

I switched my kids around as soon as they met state requirements. I just would really rather see their lovely faces and make sure they're okay than anything else. I always worried they might spit up and choke, or the sun might get in their eyes and upset them, etc.

With my oldest I turned him when he was 13 months old because I had to wait for an appointment with DMV to have his car seat put in. By then he was more than big enough and getting him in and out was easier. Well when my twins were rear facing I had to load them up from the trunk of my van so I was happy when they were old and big enough to be turned around. It was so much easier to get them in once they were forward facing but they were about 14 months when we turned them. Again I had DMV install the car seats.

Source(s): SAHM of 3

in most states there is a limit on length and size. Check with that before you do anything. But some kids do get very upset and dont like to be rear facing. Just depends on the kid

Wow, I turned my kids earlier than everyone. Maybe Australia has different laws & seats.

By 12 months my kids were facing forward. I think we had them facing forward at 7 months. Can't remember right.

They were in a capsules for about 2-3 months. Then in the rear facing position, then the front.

They hated not being able to see anything. I turned them froward when they had head control, and sit up unaided.

In my defence, the policeman told me it was fine!!

i turned my son around when he was able to ride forward facing.

seriously, my son screamed everytime he got in the car rear-facing... even if someone was in the back seat with him. once he cried the entire car ride... we stopped and he was red, in tears, and just really upset. i guess he was really scared.

i held off forward facing for as long as i could, but geesh my son was really horrible with it. he is FF now at 13 months and a happier kid in the car.

however, i have been talking to hubby about trying out rear-facing again, because i know it is safest and our son is still within the weight limit for it.

My daughters reached the requirement at 15 months, and that is when they got turned around. They started to hate being rear facing, and we were going on a 8 hours car trip, and I did not want to not be able to see them.

By the time my son was 12 months he was so tall he could not extend his legs while rear facing anymore. He was as big as a 2 yr old, and had big feet too! He was much happier after the switch, gave him room to stretch out and be comfy.

edit: oh, if anyone is curious, my son is now 6 and is 4'3". Basketball anyone?

My baby will be rear facing until he reaches the weight limit on his convertible seat (I believe it is 35lbs). Rear facing is the safest by far. Heck, I'd ride rear facing if i could :)

• crofts

that's easily counseled by using the motor vehicle seat association to no longer have something related to the motor vehicle seat. in case you have been to get into an accident, those issues ought to truly fly off and hit your toddler interior the face, inflicting the main injury. in case you like a toy, discover something which you dont' ought to connect or something that's extremely delicate rather.

• ?

My daughter couldn't see me and actually enjoys looking out the window, so thats why I turned her around.