I am looking for a enduro motor bike road lagal to comute with good fuel economy, any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

The OLDER KLRs had oil usage problems, but it wan't consumption, it was blowing oil out of the crankcase breather into the filter box, then leaking on the ground. It wasn't burning it.

I ride a converted Kawasaki KLX 650, it was a dirtbike with head/tail light, then I made it legal to ride on the street. My father-in-law runs a Honda XR400, and had a XR 600, both street legal.

They are a blast to ride on the street. Light and quick. I get about 44mpg avg with a 15/43 sproket combo (14/50 stock).

Some bombproof bikes are the Suzuki DRZ400 and Honda XR400. Little maintainence is required and the valves do not require shims to be adjusted. Both have a large aftermarket. The DRZ400SM is very popular, ready to hit the street. The old XR400 are also very popular, but were never available street ready. Suzuki also makes the DR 650 as well as Honda's XR 650L can both be had street ready. Honda also makes a 230L that is street ready, just a smaller motor.

Kawasaki has the KLR 250 and 650 (more street than trail). BMW has the GS 650 (expensive but better ride). Yamaha TTR bikes are small bore dual-sports.

The Yamaha WR bike is a rocket, a blast to ride, it makes good power, but will not have as good economy and costs more to maintain than the others, just a more powerful semi-race motor. People have even been legalizing the Honda CRF and Yamaha YZF motocross bikes. Yeah they rip, but constantly maintaining the bikes suck. Don't forget Aprilla, but expect to turn the wrench as much as you turn the throttle (almost strictly a supermoto race bike).

My recommendations (not necessairly in this order):

Suzuki DRZ 400 and DRZ 400 SM, DR650

Honda XR 400, 230L, 600/650, and 650L

Yamaha TTR250

Kawasaki KLR 250/650

BMW GS650

KTM 450, 560, 690 (can come from factory road ready)

Source(s): ride a barely legal KLX 650

The KLR650 really does fit the bill for this question. There are not an embarrassing number of options in new bikes that fit the role. XR600L's would also be a consideration. The answer depends on what you want it for. e.g 90% street 10%off road the answer favors the KLR, the other way around no so much.

If you are not doing masses of freeway miles the DRZ400SM is a far better choice than the 200. I don't know what the commute is like where Tom B lives but it's not going to keep up with 75mph traffic easily in stock form. e.g if you carry any weight it's going to be operating really close to the max. If it's only <50mph surface streets answer changes. BMW's 650 is nice too but not exactly cheap. More details gets you better answers. E.g how far, how fast and used where could help a lot. Otherwise a KLR is cheap, competent and has loads of aftermarket parts .

I own a road legal dual sport motorcycle I use for commuting. Check out a Kawasaki KLR 650. I am getting over 50 mpg. There are many accessories and forums available for the KLR. They have made the bike for a long time.

PS, when I say I am getting 50 mpg, that means I am getting an average of 50 MILES PER GALLON. As for oil consumption, my bike uses very little between oil changes since I installed a PCV valve between the engine and air box. Third URL below. My next modification will be the 685 kit offered Schnitz Racing in Decatur Indiana. Better everything including ring sealing. Oil consumption will be just about nil.

Dont throttle up and down, maintain consistency - average speed should be not more than 55 kms. Keep servicing the motor bike every 1500 kms. User premium petrol like from Shell, which not only gives better mileage but smooths the the ride

Hi,the Suzuki Dr 250 is an excellent commuter with good comfort and fuel economy.My mate is currently selling one for about £1200 pounds which is good value and a nice looking bike as well.

KLR is a good solid option here. Also, consider the Suzuki DR650. It's a little simpler (air-cooled) and a little more dirt-oriented, but as reliable as a rock. I ride a BMW F650 GS Dakar. I've got a tad under 83K miles on mine, and it's still chugging.

I love my KLR650 - it's at home offroad or on the highway, gets about 50 mpg and is super reliable. It's a 2000 with about 12k miles with no major repairs.

Insurance is very cheap too - I pay about $150 a year.

The ride height is a little high - if you're under 6 ft you might want to get a lowering kit.

avoid the Kawasaki KLR 650, its been reported they have oil usage problems that they use 1 quart of oil every 600 miles, plus they don't get any better than 40 mpg, plus the bike is too top-heavy and too hard to handle with a full tank of gas.

I would suggest the Suzuki DR200, its light, it has no problem of keeping up with traffic, plus it gets 60 mpg

Try a BMW 800cc GS it's new and has very good reports on and off road should do all you ever need.

I don't know if you could find one but the old Honda XL 500 was agreat all rounder and indestructible to boot