So... if you believe American law is based on Judeo-Christian ethics...?

Can you please tell me what Judeo-Christian ethics it's based on that weren't part of Germanic or Anglo-Saxon/British common law we directly adopted our own common law from, or the ancient Greco-Roman democratic tradition (particularly the Tort laws of Draco and Solon) which shaped our own democracy?

(Hint: that eliminates murder, theft, rape, lying under oath and adultry-- and adultry is no longer illegal anyway)

Well, of course, the First Amendment has nothing to do with Judeo-Christian laws (that eliminates Commandments 1-4 and 10 for Jews, most Protestant and Orthodox Christians, and 1-3 and 9-10 for Lutherans and Roman Catholics).

So that leaves-- honoring thy mother and father, and coveting thy neighbor's house and wife, which have nothing to do with any laws.

So...where is this Judeo-Christian influence?

Update:

Um, peaceisjustice: I don't think you understand what Common Law is. Look it up.

Update 2:

Or for that matter, what "Germanic" or "Anglo-Saxon" means.

Update 3:

Edward J: Are you trying to tell me that the Greek State copied the Jewish tribes? What a joke. Hebrew law had no concept of trial by jury (which came from the Greeks). Want to know what the Bible says about settling disputes?

Deuteronomy 25:2

'If the guilty party deserves to be beaten, the judge will have him lie down and be beaten in his presence.'

Update 4:

Jim D: Ultimately, yeah, that's true-- I was trying to go with direct influences in this case.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Very nicely put. Not surprisingly the ones who believe the US is based on JC ethics are not chiming in. hummmm

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Actually British Common Law does not predate Christianity.

It was created by King Henry the second(a Christian) in 1154. I just wanted to point that out seeing as the "in a century before Christianity" answer is quite innacurate. It was introduced not long after the dark ages.

Sorry I don't have a proper answer, but that answer probably sounded to me the same way it does when, someone claims your founding fathers were all Christian". Innacurate enough.

I am quite aware that British Common Law, was primarily inspired Greco-Roman law.

• 1 decade ago

The laws of the US are NOT based upon the Bible, of course. The very First Amendment negates the majority of the Ten Commandments. Only stealing and killing are illegal, and that is because they violate a person's Constitutionally-protected RIGHTS to property and life. Stealing and killing were wrong and illegal in societies long before Christianity was invented. Few so-called "sins" are illegal.

There is also no such thing as "Christian values". Non-Christians around the globe have been caring for their children, helping the poor, etc., again, LONG before Christianity was invented. The sadistic, bloodthirsty God of the Bible, who repeatedly commands his followers to kidnap, enslave, torture, rape, and kill people, would be a poor source of laws or morals for the US.

A thorough reading of the Bible indicates that if anything is a "Christian value", it is the notion that innocent people should be beaten and executed for the wrongdoings of others, that people should blame someone evil for their own actions instead of accepting responsibility themselves, that atonement to an injured party isn't necessary as long as one begs forgiveness from an uninvolved party, and that the reason for helping needy people is to get a reward and profit yourself. None of those 'values' should be adopted by ANY society.

Source(s): "Christian Values" from the Bible, including hundreds of verses such as: Luke 19:27 Jesus said, "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." Genesis 6:7 "And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them." Exodus 10:20 "But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, so that he would not let the children of Israel go." Numbers 31:17-18 "Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Ezekiel 9:6 "Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women . . . " Isaiah 13:16 "Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Deuteronomy 13:15 "Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly . . . " Leviticus 20:9 "For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death . . . " Exodus 32:27 ". . . Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour." Deut 21:10-12 "When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive, And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife; Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house, and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; " Exodus 31:15 " . . . whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death." Deuteronomy 21:18-21 "If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Never was. It's all historical revisionism. Less than 20 percent of the population of the new United States of America identified itself as religious or attended regular services.

This secularism was further underscored with the oft-mentioned Treaty With Tripoli of 1797.

I admit I get great amusement reading folks who think the failed Mayflower Compact was a founding document, or that the Declaration of Independence is law (Jefferson fought to insert the word "creator" instead of "god", to give you an idea of the prevailing mindset of the times.)

Source(s): "Ellery's Protest" by Stephen Solomon
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Of course it is. It's a value system of freedom, not hurting others, charity. You idiot atheists like to Google BS from other atheists, thats find, just don't spread it as fact.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

American Law is based on British Common Law, which was first written a century before Christianity came to Britain. So, it's based on Pagan laws.

• 1 decade ago

Laws in every country are an evolution of how the society dictates human interaction should be. Morals and laws are not Christian exclusive and nothing was created by Christian law except the ability of the church to stifle the intelligence and sexuality of its masses.

• 1 decade ago

they also seem to skip over a movement that took place around the time this country was founded called the Age of Enlightenment. this movement first and foremost said government should not be governed by religion (throwing the divine right to rule out the window)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Who would believe such a thing?

American Law is based upon British Law which is based upon the Code of Hammurabi.

Old Ham-mi was a clever dude, even though biblical writers give him no credit. In their defense, they were mostly ignorant and of low character.

• 1 decade ago

Chirp chirp, replied the Christian crickets.... Ever notice how when you ask a hell of a hard question like this, every one pretends like they havent read it?

Now watch the thumbs down. That will alert you to the fact that they are reading this, but still not leaving you a response...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.