Will Mario Manningham be worth the risk for the Super Bowl Champion NY Giants?

He's had some issues with drugs (marijuana and prescription pain killers), then lied about it in interviews at the NFL combine (that was dumb), and later admitted to lying in a letter he wrote to all 32 teams. He also scored a 6 in the wonderful wonderlic test. Now, I don't put much credence in that test, but a 6?

He is a first class talent, no doubt about it, but this is no throw away pick for the Giants in the third round (like Bradshaw last year, who also had "character issues"). Will he be Super Mario for the Giants? or super bust?

Favorite Answer

Good question.

They're taking a risk on Manningham and banking on their SB win to knock some sense into him. He's now in a receiving corps with 2 former Big Ten WRs (Mich and Mich St) , Toomer and Plax, so they'll know where he's coming from. There are also a good mix of veterans and young guys to learn from. It will be tough in a city like NYC but with a coach like Coughlin, I think he'll keep himself in line.

And you mention Ahmad Bradshaw: we didn't see what he was capable of until the end of the season.

Source(s): I pray that he keeps in line, I think the Giants can suprise the league again this year. GO G-men!!!
  • Capri

Well, they won the Super Bowl with what they have. Mario Manningham, in my opinion, is not a wasted pick. He has tested positive for marijuana a few times, but tell me the last time he tested positive. It's been a while, so I believe he's straightened out a little and matured over time. He said he lied because he was scared of the effects. However, he did come out with the truth and as a back up to Burress and the other receivers, he won't be an issue, character-wise.

• Aric G

At least they only used a 3rd round pick on him. With that said, I think he will be an average player to a bust instead of a big star. He needs to learn how to run routes.

Remember Desmond Howard? He had a ton of talent, but did not know how to run routes. He never made it as a receiver, but did contribute in the return game.

He'll be good, regardless of what has happened in the past. Since when does getting a good score on the wonderlic test translate to good play? Basically all you need is a knowledge of the game and how to play it. He will help them, in one way or another.

• As a Michigan Wolverines fan I believe that the Giants spent their pick wisely and have a great reciever to groom that will eventually replace Amani Toomer

A 6 is pretty bad. That test is supposed to measure how well you can learn your job. 20 is average overall, and about 17 is average for a wide receiver. If the test is right, he will have problems learning his routes, etc. Of course, maybe he is one of those people who just doesn't test well.

It's scary with the bright lights of NY also. I would have liked to see him go to a small market team. Lets see. He is talented. I would also like to see how Arington does also.

• Oz

I think so. Couglin will not tolerate any of his stuff. Ask Shockey as he exits stage left. Manningham will fit in or will be cut. I hope he makes the grade because his talent makes him a steal......if he behaves.

He is following the path of great receiver before him like Randy Moss. All kinds of issues similar to Randy and look how awesome Randy is.

now tht hes under the spot light hes gonna prove tht it wasnt a wasted pick and put up nice numbers