Jefferson Airplane?

Hey guys. I know everyone hates when students ask for help on projects, but this one is kinda fun and I'm doing research of my own too. I would like some obscure and not-so-well-known info on the band plus their history and what bands the members were in afterwards. please don't paste from another site, but links are definitely ok. didn't jefferson airplane change its name to jefferson rocketship? info like that is helpful.

thanks folks =)

thanks everyone so far for your answers!! choosing best answer will be super hard =) y'all are so helpful =) thanks

• Joe C
    Favorite Answer

Jefferson Airplane split into two groups: Jefferson Starship and Hot Tuna

Jefferson Starship were the singers (Grace Slick, Marty Balin) and rhythm guitarist (Paul Kantner). Kantner owns the "Jefferson" part of the title, so when he left, they just called themselves Starship. BTW the "Jefferson Starship" title refers to the original super-group that formed to play on the "Blows Against The Empire" album. It included members of the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and David Crosby. Later, after the Jefferson Airplane broke up, Kantner used the name to form a new band.

The lead guitarist (Jorma Kaukonen) and bass player (Jack Casady ) formed Hot Tuna. They were the musical core of the group. Jorma is one of the best rock/blues guitarist to ever play. Hot Tuna plays epic shows lasting 5 hours with no break. They are still touring and are a must see.

Read the link about the Matrix Club, the SF hangout where everyone gravitated in the '60s

1

Source(s): Most Realistic Flight Simulator - http://FlightSimulator.siopu.com/?tLJ

Firstly, they changed to Jefferson Starship, then just Starship

They used to be a psychedelic band fronted by Grace Slick, then they turned into a band which made the worst, arguably, song in the history of pop music.

We build this city on rock and roll.

Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, and Starship..Same band

I thought they changed their name to Jefferson Starship.

They broke off into a second band called Hot Tuna.

I know the Blue Man Group does their song "White Rabbit" in one of their shows.

They were the only band to appear at the three major pop festivals of the 1960s; Monterey, Woodstock and Altamont.

Here's something obscure: Their name is mentioned in the song "The Fat Angel" on the album "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan.

They're also mentioned (as "The Airplane") in the song "Monterey" by Eric Burden and the Animals.

I saw them twice - in 1968, in my home town, and in 1989, at a reunion concert in Golden Gate Park. They were a very good live band.

Everybody likes to "crap" on Starship but in reality Starship was the only "incarnation" of the band that had a #1 hit (it had 2).

None of the earlier "incarnations" had a #1 hit.

It may have been because the earlier "incarnations" were very outspoken about their political views, which usually tend to alienate nearly half of their target audience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_airplane

Jefferson Starship was the name they changed too.

It's Jefferson Starship. I think Grace Slick got Cancer but that's all I really know besides the fact that they rock.

They became Jefferson Starship and now travel around doing fairs and firework shows. I saw them last summer