Woodstock 1969 to Woodstock 1999 : What happened?

This is more of a society question, but there is a musical slant here.

In 1969 Woodstock was organized and billed as "Three Days of Peace and Music". From all accounts, that was exactly the case.

In 1999, organizers put together a festival in Rome, NY, not the original Woodstock location. Instead of music, it will be remembered for greed, violence, rape, and mayhem.

What do you believe has changed in the 30-year timespan in between concerts to exhibit such a drastic difference in us?

Favorite Answer

There is a detachment in society today. Where in the 1960s people "dropped out" to fight the onslaught of the government and to live a more communal life; people today find solace in "dropping out" in a different way. Today, people surround themselves with gadgets, with computers, mp3 players, MySpace and MTV. There weren't those distractions then. It's interesting because all of this connectivity is done under the premise of bringing people together, when in actuality it's creating a wedge of information between us.

Being a member of the media opened my eyes to just how news is presented to the masses. Not just in our country, but around the world. Sex sells, we all know that. Violence sells. We know that too. But there is something else that sells and that my friends, is human tragedy. We hear more about tragedy than we do triumph in our society. I don't know about you, Deke, but it's enough sometimes to make we turn off the television and drop out myself.

Sure, shedding light on the plight of the homeless is important. But when you shed light on that, then you have to shed light on teen pregnancy, and a rape at a college. And then there are children shooting up our schools. And that is what makes the six o'clock news. Even if it didn't happen in our town or within 100 miles of our town, that is what will lead off the news. And I think it's sad. Is it important to be informed? I say yes. However, too much information can also be a detriment because we become over-saturated with negative and begin to feel like life was meant to be that way when it most absolutely is not.

Sure, people at Woodstock in the 1960s smoked pot, had sex, drank booze. People do all those same things now. But what has changed is a fundamental shift to really not caring. I may be a 30-something, but I can tell you that there is a lack of empathy in the hearts of our children today.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

In 1999, organizers put together a festival in Rome, NY, not the original Woodstock...

Source(s): woodstock 1969 woodstock 1999 happened: https://tr.im/3TP7k

This is a really good question I wish this was a traditional forum so I could spend more time to write..

Youth culture developed into a highly marketable demographic over past 40 years. It got 'infiltrated' and dumbed down by the material world..

Todays youth are much more into material goods now.. As opposed to political idealism..

Also.. I think the draft and the impending doom it brought by hanging over young men's heads had alot to do with the success of Woodstock 69.. You had alot of youth fighting for an alternative..

Think of the difference in the way bands of the '60's played, most were about music not record album sales and profit.

The times have changed way too much for a recreation of 'Peace, Love and Music'. The hippie attitude for some reason has been allowed to be equated with a wimpiness. When in fact hippies stood up to violent protests for what they believed in, watch footage of the beatings, tear gases, and some were shot and killed for what they believed in and today it is not portrayed at all like that. Money and greed are everywhere, kids today aren't like kids in the '80's let alone the '60's.

Well, I guess its a change in the music industry. I really cant wait for woodstock 2009 though, as long as they keep it an antiwar festival. Imagine the moshing that could happen!

I went to Woodstock 94 and had a great time.

• GK Dub

Obiously, the decline of society has played a role. But also, Woodstock '69 was filled with a bunch tree-hugging hippies who wanted peace. Woodstock '99 was filled with the opposite; drunken frat-guys looking to have sex and show how tough they are in the mosh pits.

The way people were raised is a big difference for one, at least one parent was usually home, and in 30 years, both parents have to work, leaving less time for the kids. Also, as pointed out before, many were at the very least smoking marijuana, which in my own opinion isn't near as dangerous as other drugs, and just smoking and chilling out enjoying the show. The venue change could've played a role as well.....but I would attribute most of it to the society differences of the times.

People. In 1969, they were easy going and cared about each other. 1999 and today its "all about me because i'm special" and "I can do what ever I want no matter the impact to anyone else". Its how we have been rasied and exposed to. We've become so immune to violence and other societal evils that its "no big deal" anymore. Nothing's Shocking.

For 30 years somebody kept the waterhose flowing, maintaining the plentiful supply of mud.

Thats about what happened after the first one.