Rosie asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Does having a period cause the vagina's ph to unbalance?

I know this belongs in women's health but many people there are like 15 and keep saying this is gross so I need mature responses?

I know the vagina has a perfectly well balanced ph of bacteria and yeast and it's also self cleansing. It's only when the ph or flora is unbalanced that women will develop an infection. My question is when a women goes through her monthly cycle does this cause her to unbalance her ph therefore creating the risk of a yeast or bacterial infection?

• Favorite Answer

Yes. Menstruation causes decreased acidity of the vagina, which may expose it to infections, as the acidity plays a role as a natural barrier against infection. But if her immunity is strong, and has a good general health, no worries. For prophylaxis, she must maintain her personal hygiene (And no moist in the vaginal area to avoid fungal infections) and antibiotics can be of a value in protection against bacterial infection.

EDIT: But before using any antibiotics, you should consult a doctor or someone who works in the medical field. They're usually not necessary.

Source(s): Medical student

I think the degree of heavy bleeding sounds extreme even for what I'm about to suggest, but heavy bleeding and irregular cycles are both symptomatic of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Have you undergone any testing related to that (ultrasounds looking for cysts, hormone level and blood glucose tests, etc.)? Other possible causes might include hormone imbalance or uterine fibroids. Do you know what kind of tests have been run, exactly? As far as other options, you might want to look into a Mirena intrauterine device. It's a small (a little bigger than a quarter) piece of T-shaped plastic that releases a small amount of progesterone into the uterus. The progesterone tends to have the effect of reducing menstrual flow -- by as much as 90%. Once it's in place, Mirena is good for 5 years (but can be removed sooner if you choose). I can't say for sure whether it would be a viable option for you, and I think that's probably a discussion best had with a medical professional, but it is something worth looking into.