Kyle asked in 社會與文化語言 · 1 decade ago

<分析>這一個英文句子

如題

"Plastic Surgeon" acts as a magic word, raising the sufferer, and

uttered here in a place where people take refuge from ordinary

discomforts in an artifice that has become normal.

單字都懂, 但要我分析這句有點難 ><

她有啥引申意思嗎?

這是我在讀 Journal of Popular Culture 一本學術期刊 看到的句子

作者是有名的 Deborah Caslav Covino

很好奇作者為什麼這樣寫

這篇文章標題 叫做 "Outside-in: Body, mind, and self in the advertisement of

aesthetic surgery"

Rating
    Favorite Answer

「整型醫生」成了魔術的字眼,救醒了昏厥中的少女。並且在這個人們躲避八月熱浪的場所,把原來的巧計(暗指「抽脂術」)變為必須。

Outside-in: Body, mind, and self in the advertisement of aesthetic surgery

Deborah Caslav Covino. Journal of Popular Culture. Bowling Green: Winter 2001. 35(3), 91-102.

這段話前面有一長段引言:

On a hot August day I was walking through a department store. It was during a heat wave-the type where everyone is advised to stay indoors and seek shelter in a shopping mall if air conditioning is not available. As I headed for the exit I passed through the cosmetics department. Walking toward me was a woman in her 40s and a girl, presumably her daughter, about 15 years old. As they approached, I saw that the girl was becoming a bit wobbly on her feet. I moved nearer to them just as her eyes rolled back and she started to faint. I jumped forward, caught her as she was falling, and lowered her onto the ground. Her mother became hysterical and blurted out that her daughter hadn’t eaten a thing for lunch. After determining that the girl had simply fainted and would be okay, I reassured her mother. I asked for some water. A store employee brought out an atomizer of designer water, which I sprayed onto the girl’s face. She opened her eyes and looked up at the ceiling. Her mother, now calmed, turned to me and, noticing my beeper, asked if I was a doctor. I nodded. Next she asked what kind of doctor I was. “Actually,” I said, “I’m a plastic surgeon.” At that point the girl, apparently revived but still lying flat on her back, lifted her head up sharply and asked, “Oh wow! Do you do liposuction?” The mere mention of plastic surgery appears to have spurred her recovery. (引自A. M. Engler,Bodysculpture: Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women)

圖片參考:http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1602/bodyzv0.jp...

Covino引述恩格勒醫生書裡的話,然後說:

2008-04-29 14:40:01 補充:

“Plastic surgeon” acts as a magic word, raising the sufferer, and uttered here in a place where people take refuge from ordinary discomforts (August heat that makes our bodies swelter) in an artifice that has become normal.

2008-04-29 14:40:14 補充:

Covino隨後又(以諷刺的口吻)說:這個尊貴的醫生好像是個救世主,剛好出現在被熱浪、飢餓所苦而失去控制的少女面前。他扶住了那個昏厥倒下的少女,傾聽她母親的告白,安慰她母親的不安,然後讓少女甦醒,靠的不是營養的食物,也不是物理治療,而是「抽脂術」的這個魔術字眼。

我不熟悉Deborah Caslav Covino其人其事,不過看這兩段前後文來說,她應該是反對身體整型的女性主義者吧?

整形醫生是有魔力的字眼

能激勵病患,並以巧妙的方法將令患者不安的部位

變回正常

Source(s): 自己

Whoever wrote this has terrible English, it makes no sense at all. It's total garbage.

Explanation in my poor Chinese:

是 100% 亂講 - 所以不用怕, 不是你的英文不好而看不懂這個句子.